Crosscut nipple - pipe dope / teflon?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I installed a set of Hansgrohe wall mounted faucets today. It came with a crosscut nipple for the water supply. It doesn't thread like a regular nipple, it's got a lot of bite when you thread it in. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention teflon or thread sealant, and it's my first experience with this nipple.

To be safe, I put some pipe dope on the threads, I haven't yet turned the water on, that will be tomorrow. If this leaks in the wall, I will have no way of knowing until it comes through the ceiling downstairs.

Is teflon required on these nipples? From what I can tell, Teflon would be very restrictive.

I installed a set of Hansgrohe wall mounted faucets today. It came with a crosscut nipple for the water supply. It doesn't thread like a regular nipple, it's got a lot of bite when you thread it in. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention teflon or thread sealant, and it's my first experience with this nipple.

To be safe, I put some pipe dope on the threads, I haven't yet turned the water on, that will be tomorrow. If this leaks in the wall, I will have no way of knowing until it comes through the ceiling downstairs.

Is teflon required on these nipples? From what I can tell, Teflon would be very restrictive.

What is a cross cut nipple?
Other than something that goes onto a baby bottle.
google it?

This faucet? or ??

Last edited:
Do you mean a cross threaded nipple? If so you need to either get a new nipple or re tap the fitting that the nipple goes in. Send a picture if this isn't what your talking about.

It's all installed now, no pictures.

Hansgrohe referred to it in their literature as a crosscut nipple. I've saw them before but never installed them. It's still npt and the female remains the same, but the nipple has all these jagged edges, it's hard to explain.

Friggin Germans

I installed a very expensive kitchen faucet for someone
there were / strange nipples one had a thread that went
to the provided faucet supply,the other end was a compression
nut and Ferrell that fit into the stop...it's easier to make things
complicated!!!!!!!

Personally , if I was in doubt , I would use both Teflon & pipe dope . But that is just a wild guess .

Wyr
God bless

It was a hard judgement call. Due to how much bite this nipple had, and I know it wasn't cross threading, my fear was if I used Teflon, I may not reach the sealing threads. So I used pipe dope, and made sure I buried the threads. I didn't put water on until the next day to let the pipe dope set up. I'm confident it's fine.........I hope!

Best of luck to you . :)

Doubt you needed to let the pipe dope set ?

Wyr
God bless

I used to use RectorSeal . Back in the day .

On black iron air lines and gas lines . And on galvanized steel pipe and on copper fittings that screwed into other fittings .

Do not know what is in common use , currently .

Wyr
God bless

Was it This faucet?

I'm curious as to which faucet you installed.
The one above was just a random one I found.
and it only showed how to install the trim.

This the nipple you were asking about?
Kind of a cheesy way to mount a spout. the part being you have to trim the threaded end of the nipple before you screw it in to the valve.

I have confidence in you that it wont leak.

What is that thing in the my 2nd snip?

zzz.JPG

zzzz.JPG

"Cheesy" was my first reaction. Especially since it's a hansgrohe product. Everything else I installed from them has always been top notch.

The nipple was the same installation as that. As annoying as it is to cut the nipple, it is pretty forgiving for wall depths I will admit. That was pretty much the same literature that came in the box, but it didn’t indicate needing Teflon and it referred to the nipple as a cross cut nipple, and even the treads on the illustration looked "burred". Finding a picture of these threads is like finding a Sasquatch!

I'm not sure what that is in the picture, nothing like that was on the one I installed. . A beer can on a string maybe? I know I sure wanted one when I was installing it. I had to mount it on a mirror!

Last edited:
I was clearing out my tool bag and found the piece I cut off. Notice how the threads are all jagged? It’s weird. And apparently I’m the only one in my company to come across one yet!

C025185E-DF2B-4E7F-A14B-74107CDC92B7.jpg

Latest posts

Back