Crooked Valve - What's Going On Here??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Dim

Reaction score
Hello all, in need of help!

So I buy this classic single lever delta trim kit and try to install it, but after installing it (I did it without swapping out the old cartridge at first), notice that the handle is not like its supposed to be on the box..on the box it's supposed to be at a 90 degree angle, whereas its at 45 degrees..

So I'm thinking okay we gotta swap out the cartridge..but that thing is cemented in there. So I hire a plumber and he half burns it, half chips it out of the valve, and installs the new cartridge...but the handle is still at a 45 degree angle. So I ask him why and he says because the valve is twisted. I've attached a pic below. Apparently the solution to the crookedness: either break all the tile to get to the pipes and replace the valve, or use a remodeling plate to get that fixed (which I don't like the look of)...

But my question is: I'm not understanding why this valve got like this...every valve I'm seeing online the holes are parallel to each other.

What could have possibly happened to make the valve like this? or could it be it is like this? Thank you so much!!

P.S. if it helps at all, previous shower system was a classic delta with single knob.

Attachments

• CrookedValve.jpeg
    CrookedValve.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 42
The valve could be bent from inside, if that’s the case you need to replace it with a new one or just wait for this one to give you problems and then replace.

The valve could be bent from inside, if that’s the case you need to replace it with a new one or just wait for this one to give you problems and then replace.
Rossando thank you so much, I just find it weird that the pipes all look straight and the hole for the screws are all straight and then this middle part is crooked. But thank you for you conclusion. I think I need to break the wall and replace, as you said.

It looks like it could be the older style delta valve with the little copper pipes between the back and front of valve. So what happens is when you try get the bonnet ring off holding the cartridge on an old one you can actually twist the whole front of the valve. Eventually if you twist enough then it breaks and you have to replace the valve. My guess is someone tried to replace cartridge sometime before And nearly wrecked the valve doing so.

If I can’t those things off I tell people that its possible to break and it’s better left alone until ready for a new shower valve.

View attachment 21821
View attachment 21822

Something like this with integral stops for shutting off water to the valve to replace the cartridge in the future.[/QUOTE

Frozen bonnet nut is a common problem on that faucet. When they don't come off with normal pressure I use a saw blade and put one cut through the bonnet nut. Being care fill not to cut into the valve. Then put a screwdriver into the cut and twist it. After that it will unscrew by hand.

The single lever delta handle fits onto the stem using a set screw,correct?

and the stem has a flat spot that corresponds with the set screw, correct?

take your dermal tool, grind a new flat spot that will orient the valve handle in the position desired.

This will not fix the crooked valve. but will be mo betta looking

after 2 weeks you will not even know the difference
\

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Since the time of first posting, I have discovered some additional evidence. There is a shower associated the gym in my condo, and I noticed that the knob handle in that shower is also the same, pointing slightly upward and not due east...look... the condo was built in 1994 so I'm thinking its possible that the original valves were associated with a different trim kit where the "off" was at approx 30 degrees...since then everyone has updated their trim kits and in the process they realize there is this weird-ass valve, but noone wants to do the dirty work and tear down the wall to switch it out, so they just do what's second best, i.e. just switch out the trim kit and just let the handle point to 30 degrees even though "off" would be due east...would love to hear your thoughts but that's my best guess. Quite the mystery!

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back