Creaking/popping plastic shower pan

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iyiyi

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I recently moved to a new apartment. They have a stand up shower with a plastic shower pan in one of the bathrooms. When standing/walking in the shower it flexes and makes very loud creaking/cracking noises (I only weigh about 140 pounds). The closer you stand to the drain, the more obvious the flexing and noise is. Sounds/feels like the plastic has gaps under it or something.

More frustrating than that, after taking a shower, the pan makes very loud popping/cracking noises for about an hour (every minute or two)

Maintenance basically said they won't do anything and that it is just how these plastic showers are.

Is there anything I can do on my own (that's not super intrusive) other than just deal with it?

Thanks so much!

It’s a cheap shower pan. Likely just styrofoam with a thin acrylic shell.

I run into this all the time in new construction or renovations where homeowners supply their own fixtures. Then when the pan flexes, squeaks and moves....

“The plumber didn’t install it correctly”

Nah it’s just junk

There is nothing you can do. However, this should serve as a warning because you will find other issues and now you know what they will say if and when you complain.

Is there something I could try to push them to do? Or is replacing the whole shower the only option? Really annoying. Thanks for the help

You can drill holes and inject expanding foam, but if you use the wrong product, you are going to end up repairing and replacing the existing shower pan.

You rent? Live with it until it leaks or cracks. It’ll happen soon enough. If you beef up to about 270, like my apprentice, you could speed up the process.

I've done the expanding foam trick with great success, but only on new installs. So I'd second the suggestion that expanding foam could help, with a few caveats:
--as havasu said, there is potential for permanent damage. If the foam over-expands, it push up the pan or warp it. So if you go this route, you'll want to use a minimally-expanding foam, or just really make sure you don't over-stuff it.
--any drilling you do through the pan should be from the OUTSIDE of the shower. You don't want to drill through where water will constantly be.
--if your landlord is a harda**, you may want to skip it. You don't want to be stuck with the charges for replacement if something goes wrong. In that case, RenewDave's suggestion might be the best option! ;)

Back