"crappy" toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfilestl

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a question or a rant,but if anyone has any input please feel free to reply.
I moved into a new house 3 months ago. Shortly after we started having trouble with the toilet clogging. It got so bad I had to buy a toilet auger,one of those five foot ones. Plunging it stopped working and we have had to use the auger every time we flush any solids including just toilet paper. It got to the point that the auger wouldn't even penetrate it anymore so I pulled the toilet out to see if something got flushed down it. I took the tank off and brought it outside and cleaned it with a garden hose. All I found was a plastic tampon applicator and two qtips which looked like it should have easily been pushed out by all of the times we used that auger on it. The whole bottom of the toilet was PACKED solid with toilet paper and ****. It was packed so tight it was like cement. Like I said the snake wouldn't even penetrate it anymore. Anyhow I cleaned it all out and changed the gaskets,bolts,seals and wax ring,put the toilet back on and flushed it and it worked fantastic. That is until I took the first dump in it and it went down real slow. It was just a small one too,in no way,shape or form something that should cause any problems at all. I flushed 3 or 4 more times and was still draining slow until I plungered it and now its flushing ok again,but I can see my problem is going to just start all over again. It just sucks because I am by no means a plumber or construction worker. It took me all day to do that and I had to take things apart several times to make sure I did it right,not to mention i suffer from diabetic neuropathy and all of the walking up and down stairs to fetch tools and turn water off and on has my legs feeling like someone beat them with a bat.

Anyhow the toilet is a mancesa 1.6/6 lts I don't know a model number or how old it is but so far I have not read anything good about the brand. I don't think my plumbing is vented so that could be part of the problem?? But the rest of the plumbing in the house works fine.

One good thing came out of it though, I learned a lot about how a toilet works. Everything that could go wrong did. The bolts were rusted and kept spinning when I tried to loosen the nuts. The flange was rusty and needed to be replaced,the seals on the tank bowl were old and needed to be replaced. The seal from the tank to the bowl needed to be replaced, and to top it off the drain for the toilet is too close to the wall, the tank sits right against the wall and the first time I put the toilet back on I put the base on first and then tried to put the tank on. It was so tight a fit it caused to tank to sit improperly on the base and the seal didn't fit properly so it was leaking. I had to take it all off,put the tank on properly and then put it back on the hole. Pain in the ass,but I did learn a lot.

To all of you overpaid plumbing companies, I respect your job and no longer think you're overpaid. You earn every penny of it.

The toilet you have is made by Mansfield. They were never that good to start with. The first thing that bothers me about your post is you say the flange is to close to the wall. If that is the case then the horn of the toilet is not setting in the center of the flange. This alone can cause frequent stoppages. Take a measurement from the wall to the center of the flange. If it's less then 11-1/2" you may need a 10" rough toilet. The standard is 12" but you can get away with 11-1/2". I doubt the toilet you have is a 10" rough because I don't think Mansfield made one. Most major brands make 10" rough toilets but they are a little more expensive.

John

It's actually working good now,the tank seating on the bowl properly was definitely a problem as you said. When I initially reinstalled it I did so vt placing the bowl on first and then reattaching the tank which resulted in the tank leaking. I had to take everything off again and re-seat the tank so it sealed properly and place the whole unit on the hole. The problem with that was the tank is pushing right up against the wall and on the bottom of the base where it rests on the floor the back doesn't really sit on the floor willingly. Eventually I got it level by sitting on it and working it down by twisting it etc.. but its putting stress on the porcelain where the tank rests on the bowl because the wall is pushing the top of the tank forward. I'm not sure if I'm painting a clear picture with my words here or not. I feel like its difficult and confusing to try and describe such a simple problem,but all is working well for now. I think a big problem is the waste outlet hole is very small on this toilet. The tampon applicator that clogged it was very small and the plastic was soft enough that the closet auger should have pushed it right through. After reading up on this brand it seems as if it is the 1.6 gpf model everyone has the same problem with, so any contractors trying to save a buck should definitely stay away from this one, I saw where one guy had to replace several toilets throughout several locations because he was using them exclusively and receiving multiple complaints.

The problem is if you had to force the toilet down with the tank hitting the wall, at the same time your forcing the horn of the toilet to the front side of the flange reducing the opening that much more. The horn of the toilet must set in the middle of the flange. If it doesn't it will be prone to more stoppages.

John

The whole bottom of the toilet was PACKED solid with toilet paper and ****. It was packed so tight it was like cement. Like I said the snake wouldn't even penetrate it anymore.

Anyhow I cleaned it all out and changed the gaskets,bolts,seals and wax ring,put the toilet back on and flushed it and it worked fantastic. That is until I took the first dump in it and it went down real slow.

Maybe you need to change your diet or seek the services of a dietician and/or proctologist?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist... :(

Back