Crane Toilet keeps getting clogged

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
I have 2 Crane toilets each about 13 years old. They are on the same stack. One I never have any problems with, the other clogs about twice a month. I've changed the valve and flapper but no improvement. Any ideas why one of them doesn't flush very good and sometimes clogs?

They are just bad toilets. And, if they’re EB that’s the worst. The round front had a tendency to be ok flushers, the EB, not. Waste no time, get a good flusher and be done.

what brand and model toilet would you replace it with?

Also ask yourself. Who uses that toilet? Is it time for the famous talk with kids? Less paper more flushing. Crane is a cheap toilet. I fully agree with that. But if 1 flushes then 2 should flush. Might need to pull and remove a forgein object. Wax seal is $2. Worth looking. Take it outside and turn it over. Flashlight helps

I install about 40 American standard cadet pro toilets a year. I have yet to go back for a plugged toilet.
James, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Liquid in a cheap toilet will go away. As soon as you put solids in a cheap toilet, the pull that is needed to create the flush is obstructed and a slow or late flush plugs the toilet. Just having a toilet that the trapway isn’t fully glazed will make solids “grab” when liquids shoot right through.

Also make sure you have the correct amount of water in the tank. Before replacing clean out the port holes under the rim
of the bowl and the hole at the bottom of the bowl if it has one.

take tomfohio advice we have a couple of hundred of them on campus if the fil valve doesn't work right it wont flush properly clean the jets and clear the hoes in the bowli have even emptied the tank and poured vinegar into thetank opening to the bowl and let it sit for a while it wull clean out the insideof the jets

Could be the holes up under the rim are clogged with calcium and such.

I personally like the Toto Drake toilet. Toto Entrada is not bad either. Both have a MaP score of 1000. They flush well and don't splash. The commercial American Standard toilets I've seen splash up when they flush. Not sure about the residential ones though.

As for the clogging, I think it may have to do with what is being flushed. Is someone flushing wipes (even "flushable" ones can cause clogs)? Is there a child in the house who could be putting stuff in the toilet? Maybe something is stuck in the trapway or stuck in the toilet's drain line and needs to be augered out.

many years ago crane Radcliffe was considered the best toilet around. It was the 55 chev of its day. In fact i had two in my house good from 1974 to 2015. very good. but then

Crane plumbing has merged with American Standard. In light of this, Crane Plumbing products are no longer being offered in the trade channel.

In 2008, Crane was acquired by American Standard - who then continued to manufacture select Crane toilet models, but chose not to continue certain lines or provide parts/support for many of the older Crane/URC models.

Back in the day i used to rip out American toilets because they did not have a supplier in my city . You called a 1-800 number and ordered parts.
maybe receive parts in a couple of days. I would tell my clients why have American standard and wait for parts when you can buy crane parts at any mom and pop hardware store.

I think that for the price, the Am Std Cadet Pro, or the Toto Entrada (right height and elongated) are excellent.
But, I know a client who's wife can clog a brand new Entrada even though it is has a 1,000 gram top rated MaP score.
We use Entrada on all multi-unit buildings and get no complaints. That is if you only need a $150. toilet. If you want better looking, that is a different discussion.

I think the Entrada looks fine, especially compared to some of the older toilets. When we had to evacuate and stay with friends after a hurricane we ended up buying an Entrada for the house after his grandfather managed to clog the old toilet (not sure what brand- but it was one he found for free that had been dumped) beyond repair. He pretty much flushed an entire pack of wet wipes and while my friend did auger the toilet out, the flush wasn't powerful enough to get past the clog in the pipes, but the Entrada was (up until the whole city sewer in the area backed up). It was either "comfort height" or "chair height". Slightly shorter than the Drake's ADA height but not by much. The added height made it easier for my mother-- and it was on sale for cheap at the time and military discount stacked so it came in under $200 even with 10% sales tax.
TotoEntrada1.jpg

I think the Entrada looks fine, especially compared to some of the older toilets. When we had to evacuate and stay with friends after a hurricane we ended up buying an Entrada for the house after his grandfather managed to clog the old toilet (not sure what brand- but it was one he found for free that had been dumped) beyond repair. He pretty much flushed an entire pack of wet wipes and while my friend did auger the toilet out, the flush wasn't powerful enough to get past the clog in the pipes, but the Entrada was (up until the whole city sewer in the area backed up). It was either "comfort height" or "chair height". Slightly shorter than the Drake's ADA height but not by much. The added height made it easier for my mother-- and it was on sale for cheap at the time and military discount stacked so it came in under $200 even with 10% sales tax.
View attachment 30920
It also comes in round front comfort height

True. But I hate round front toilets. LOL. Some people find them more comfortable though.

Back