Craig's List Plumbers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Recently, someone asked Plumbing Forum for advice regarding a plumbing problem. Rather than asking all here for their help, he chose to PM me for advice. I urged him to post his concerns, but for some reason, he continued his PM's, which I had no problem answering.

The reason for this thread is what happened to him next. He decided it would be just as cheap to hired a licensed plumber from Craig's List, who quickly came to his house, talked the talk, and bragged about being licensed. He felt comfortable and gave the money up front for the entire repair, with the promise he would return the next day and take care of his needs. Yep, we all know the outcome.....this plumber never showed!

I'm certain he was duped, and the license was nothing but numbers, but this should serve as a warning for others that providing a plumbing license means nothing. Please check any and all references, get on your computer and confirm the license is bonafied, and especially, never give money up front. If they ask for any money, use this as a warning....you are about to be ripped off!

Does anyone else have any horror stories they could pass on?

IIdon't. I only use word of mouth, or use well established organizations to find plumbers. Sounds like that person found out why the hard way. Never give money up front. Ever. If some one wants cash for any reason, they are probably not a real business, and you are never going to see that money ever again.

There is another "major" company that advertises pre-screened and qualified contractors. I typed in Roofer and saw the list for my area. The top rated company is one I would not allow on my property. They force all their employees to be self-insured and basically have all sub-contractors for employees.

Majak, what you mention is a sad fact in today's construction/building service industry.

Many, many companies, when faced with the challenge of finding enough qualified people, paying all of the overhead including worker's comp, unemployment, Social Security and Medicare taxes, health care insurance, retirement benefits, etc, etc, find it much easier to subcontract out the work to somebody. This somebody, and all of the guys working for him, might or might not carry worker's comp, might or might not pay all neccesary taxes, certainly won't offer fringe benefits, etc.

I personally know of contractors who subcontract out large portions of their work to "companies" that 1099 all of their "employees", who don't really care, because they don't file tax returns anyway, after all, the SS# they are using isn't theirs anyway, in fact, they don't even have a SS#. And I am not talking about little fly by night companies, either, these are large companies who are well known in their regional areas.

I'm certain the person who has been ripped off is still perusing this site. Could a licensed plumber explain the best source to verify the validity of their license? He wanted to call the cops, but with 25 years of that occupation in my background, I hated to tell him that there is not much we could do for him, which is very sad but true.

The first mistake was using Craigs List to hire a contractor. The phone book is much more reputable. If a contractor cannot afford to advertise anywhere but online, they probably don't do quality work either. Licenses can be fake since most people don't know what one looks like. Asking for proof of current insurance is one thing that should always be done. If a job is bid at night, call the Plumbing Office the next day and check the validity of the license. Never hand over money up front.

Seems like Craigs List is getting worse. Not only have I heard horror stories about Jeeps for sale, which are always about 50% cheaper than Kelly Blue Book, but have just discovered another scam running rampant at Craigs List, which I was told about last night.

My daughter's friend saw a nice apartment for rent. It appears this house had actually been posted for rent a few weeks earlier, but some scammers from Nigeria reintroduced this exact rental add, but changed the contact phone number. They told this girl that they had just moved to Nigeria doing some Christian work, and wanted a reliable person to stay there for a year, until their return. She peeked in the windows, and sure enough, saw it was vacant. She called the Nigerians, who said the place was hers, and asked her to send them a Western Union money order for her first and last month's rent, along with another $600 deposit for a small dog she has, and they would ship the keys to her on the next day. Yep, you guessed it, no keys. She returned to the house to find a couple moving in, and told her the owner lives in a nearby city, and is no way connected to Nigeria. She lost $1800, and the cops said there is nothing they can do for her.

I post this so you can let your families be aware of yet another Craigs List scam.

Last edited:
I learned about the roofing contractor by accident. I was working in the yard when a lady stopped and asked if I would be interested in a job. She even gave me a copy of the application and the requirements. I told her that I had no experience in roofing, and she said it was easy to learn. Even I would not want me working on the roof LOL. I stick to what I know and hire another pro for what I need done.

I learned about the roofing contractor by accident. I was working in the yard when a lady stopped and asked if I would be interested in a job. She even gave me a copy of the application and the requirements. I told her that I had no experience in roofing, and she said it was easy to learn. Even I would not want me working on the roof LOL. I stick to what I know and hire another pro for what I need done.

I find it best to reject random job offers.

Back