CPVC -- should I repipe? urgent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemu

Reaction score
I was having a bathtub replaced in a rental property. The plumbing is CPVC, approximately 15 years old (put in before I bought the place). Pipe do not appear to be brittle when I touch them. I've never had any leaks at this house. I'm in Florida so the pipes don't get exposed to extreme cold here.

Plumber is recommending re-piping to PEX because he says CPVC gets brittle and fails over time. Is this true? I get a different answer everywhere I turn. Is it worth the expense and headache of paying someone to repipe or am I just throwing money away if I do this? Need to decide one way or the other pretty soon. Thanks!

found this on line

Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) pipe is a thermoplastic created by the chlorination of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin. It has been available since the mid-1960s, and has an estimated lifespan of 50 to 70 years.

Run, as fast as you can. He is trying to upsale to dump lots of money in his pocket. Play the game though. Ask him for a price....THEN call two more plumbers and ask:

1) Is replumbing necessary?
2) How much for the full price?
3) Who will do the wall repair? (if he says that is up to you, run!)

Back