Could it be the check valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I seek advice from fellow professionals regarding an issue I’ve encountered with an indirect hot water heater.

I performed a diagnosis on Friday evening and found that the aquastat was not responsive and was running wild creating sky high water temperatures. Due to the time, I would not be able to get an aquastat until Monday. So I disconnected the wires for the weekend so the tank would cool down.

I return on Monday and the tank is still extremely hot, it didn’t cool down at all.

I drained the tank, replaced the thermal well and aquastat. The aquastat shut down at 130F and I went on my way.

The customer called my boss this afternoon and said the water was scalding again and he checked the temperature with a meat thermometer and it was almost 180F which is the boilers high limit setting.

If the aquastat is shutting off the circulator, the only thing I can figure is the check valve inside the circulator is stuck open and is allowing gravity flow and heating the tank. I want to be sure when I go back, as the thought of scalding someone makes me feel sick. I want to get this corrected for my customer ASAP. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Not a solution to the problem but a temporary patch might be to add a solenoid(zone) valve in the line, wired in parallel with the circulator.

Latest posts

Back