Could I change my main water valve without a plumber? (NYC)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skald89

Reaction score
My main water valve does not turn and off properly. No matter which way I turn the handle it will not tighten. Our water pressure is low because of this, where only one thing can be open at a time.
In NYC there is a shut off valve in the side walk with a metal cap. Home Depot sells a key to open and close it. I have almost no experience with plumbing. The most I have done is change shower cartridges and changed the stopper in the bathroom sink. Looking at the valve it looks like I would at most have to open the piping before and after the handle and replace that while installing a new valve, like this this or this one.
Album of valve and pipes

There plenty of good union shops in New York City that are licensed fully insured which Borough are you in?

Don't know about NYC but in my state most sidewalk shut off valves requiring a t-handle wrench must be done by the water dept.

When I did mine,I called them to shut it and called them to turn it back on.They never asked if I was a licensed plumber.

Those gate valves are notorious for that problem, with age.

Not sure why you were showing links to Pressure Regulating Valve.That's probably another good reason to leave it to a plumber.

Another good reason would be that piping looks like potential trouble and not the best for an inexperience person to tackle.

Don't know about NYC but in my state most sidewalk shut off valves requiring a t-handle wrench must be done by the water dept.

When I did mine,I called them to shut it and called them to turn it back on.They never asked if I was a licensed plumber.

Those gate valves are notorious for that problem, with age.

Not sure why you were showing links to Pressure Regulating Valve.That's probably another good reason to leave it to a plumber.

Another good reason would be that piping looks like potential trouble and not the best for an inexperience person to tackle.
Oh Im not sure what I would have bought. Those looked like the correct parts. It does require a T-handle wrench to shut off. I asked and the city doesn't do it for us. They said call a plumber and ask. Which is what I will be doing.

Last edited:
Does not cover main water line valve if it is not leaking.
Sneaky Bast**ds.

Does not cover main water line valve if it is not leaking.
Sneaky Bast**ds.

They don't inspect it. What are the chances I could say its leaking and when they send a company out the plumber wouldn't care and change it anyways?

What is the average prices to replace the main shut off valve?

One company was telling me something about freezing the lines, which I don't know what that means. Saying it can cost around $1500-2000. Im not asking for an exact price but does that sound normal?

I imagined it would be a lot less. For a master plumber to turn off the valve from the street and to replace the valve should be an easy job. This one place made sound like it was a very complicated job.

Turn the blue handles on your rpz and see if that shuts off the water to your house

Back