Copper or pex

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer copper but pex is easier (actually if you use red/blue), faster and cheaper.

We replaced our water main with white 1" PEX . Used 2 1" brass barbed fittings . The ditch was much more work / expense , than the PEX , fittings & crimp tool .

Faster with the crooks and turns I had to make . And only the 2 crimped connections . Origionally planned to use PVC , but where I had to go through the foundation / footing , I was somewhat concerned about freezing & I know what happens to PVC when it freezes . PEX is suppose to be more survivable , if it freezes .

God bless
Wyr

Around here, copper is way too expensive and time consuming to even be considered. It has its place of course, but almost everything here is pex. I just wish pex had the same inside diameter as copper for the water flow

We do all our new custom homes in CPVC, unless the customer requests copper.

PEX for repair work, and HDPE for main water lines.

Between the 2, PEX. Copper is too expensive.

now you have my attention. Explain please.

Copper takes too long, CPVC you gotta wait for it to dry.

Time is money.

Edit, our remodel and rough crews never use PEX, Service techs do.

Last edited:
Never is a bad word to use, "prefer not to" would be better.

Thanks guys . Pex it is

7feb622fa0d51638dec04642936a5db0.jpg

PEX is a great pipe if you got a set of these. I don't like all the other types of crimp personally. Glad we could help!

I plan on buying the Milwaukee pex expander . I'm going to start piping with pex only production work. Repaired will still be in copper

i too prefer expansion over crimp...but I have the tools for both. Better water flow with expansion fittings, which becomes critical when using pex. The only disadvantage is it is a little more time consuming, and make sure your rings are set up before you turn water on. I will usually wave a little heat from my torch at them to get them to set up quicker.

I have the Milwaukee pro pex expander. Great tool, just remember to grease it every so often and it will last years.

Last edited:
7feb622fa0d51638dec04642936a5db0.jpg

PEX is a great pipe if you got a set of these. I don't like all the other types of crimp personally. Glad we could help!
I have a set of those, and like them. But then a friend of mine gave me a pair of 1/2" Mil3 crimpers, and I like them much better than the Souix Chief crimpers.

I have a set of those, and like them. But then a friend of mine gave me a pair of 1/2" Mil3 crimpers, and I like them much better than the Souix Chief crimpers.

I'm gonna have to check into those, we only have those on 1 truck. The other trucks have those awful ones for 3/4 and half in one plier. They are way to big.

Are they better in tight spaces?

I am a copper snob.

guess i have been around for a long time, in the late 70's/early 80's it was a poly pipe that the rings failed,
then mid to late 80's it was the pipe itself that failed, then came entran, it failed,
from what i hear from repair guys around here, misc eat the **** out of pex pipe
so,,,
thru all of this, from the late 70's till today, I have installed copper , under and inside buildings.

to old to change my old ways.

i am sticking with what I KNOW WILl LAST 40-50 years

You really wanna know what is a shame.
I talked to 2 house jockys, must have been 20 years old.
from whay I understand these guys were the "go get em" best the company had to offer for top outs.
THEY ARE FAST, with pvc and pex this guys fly.
i asked them about copper.

they did not know how to solder.
THAT, to me is a crying shame

Reactions: NTD
I am a copper snob.

guess i have been around for a long time, in the late 70's/early 80's it was a poly pipe that the rings failed,

then mid to late 80's it was the pipe itself that failed, then came entran, it failed,

from what i hear from repair guys around here, misc eat the **** out of pex pipe

so,,,

thru all of this, from the late 70's till today, I have installed copper , under and inside buildings.

to old to change my old ways.

i am sticking with what I KNOW WILl LAST 40-50 years

You really wanna know what is a shame.

I talked to 2 house jockys, must have been 20 years old.

from whay I understand these guys were the "go get em" best the company had to offer for top outs.

THEY ARE FAST, with pvc and pex this guys fly.

i asked them about copper.

they did not know how to solder.

THAT, to me is a crying shame

That is sad, you gotta know how to run copper.

I've often wondered about the poly fiasco, and if it will happen again in PEX. I wasn't around when it was being installed, but man I cut out so much of that stuff, and it is just awful. I really hope PEX doesn't end up the same way.

The reason I use PEX on repairs, is most are freeze breaks and I like the expansion properties of PEX in freeze prone locations.

I'm gonna have to check into those, we only have those on 1 truck. The other trucks have those awful ones for 3/4 and half in one plier. They are way to big.

Are they better in tight spaces?
The Mil3 just handles easier. It is a little bit better in tight spots, but not much.

I have a pair of the 3/4" & 1/2" combination crimpers, and do use them on a regular basis. They will fit up next to a reducing tee or threaded adapter a lot better than any of the offset cimpers.

That is sad, you gotta know how to run copper.

I've often wondered about the poly fiasco, and if it will happen again in PEX. I wasn't around when it was being installed, but man I cut out so much of that stuff, and it is just awful. I really hope PEX doesn't end up the same way.

The reason I use PEX on repairs, is most are freeze breaks and I like the expansion properties of PEX in freeze prone locations.

the word plumber comes from the latin word Plumbum which means worker of lead

these new plastic house jockey are not plumbers in the true sense
plastic play boys

I bet you a twenty dollar bill, if you ask 5 house jockeys how to fold a lead shower pan corner
they would fold it backwards.

Last edited:
the word plumber comes from the latin word Plumbum which means worker of lead

these new plastic house jockey are not plumbers in the true sense

plastic play boys

[emoji1303] I'm gonna use plastic house jockey in my daily lingo now.

Back