Copper line going to house hit by excavator. He fixed but maybe not properly?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arby

Reaction score
Long story short: I'm building a new home...doing everything myself except the concrete and plumbing. The plumber did his rough-in work last November and left his pressure gauge on all winter. It held 100 psi for several weeks last fall/winter before it started dropping with the cold temps.

A couple weeks ago, a different guy installing the main line from well to house hit a copper line going from my shop to my house. He fixed it with a pressure fit coupler, as I recall. I told'em I'd do the back fill to save myself some $. He assured me it was good to go. To make sure, I decided to pressure test it. I put 51 psi in it the day before. It dropped down to 50 psi overnight...but I attributed that to a big drop in outside temperature. So, I back filled on Saturday. Today the gauge is reading 43 psi. It was sunny and warm today but prior to that, it was unseasonably cold.

Does this sort of drop in pressure sound normal....or, was the repair not done properly?

Last edited:
If it was at 51 psi and went to 1psi then you had a leak or someone let the pressure off.

If it was at 51 psi and went to 1psi then you had a leak or someone let the pressure off.

Actually, it went from 51 to 43 psi in 4 days.

I edited my original post so it was less confusing...hopefully.

Actually, it went from 51 to 43 psi in 4 days.

I edited my original post so it was less confusing...hopefully.

ok I read it wrong.

Check the gauge when the temp is the same each day for more accurate.
reading. So if it’s 75 outside and you check the gauge, the next day wait until

You’re probably ok but that doesn’t mean it’s repaired properly.

I have a testo gauge that compensates for temp changes 👍👽

Update: So, from May 6 through June 12, the pressure went from 51 psi to 20 psi. The temperatures were all over the place during that time, from 87 to around 33. I did check it at similar temps, but......that didn't seem to make much difference.

Yesterday, I aired it up to 50 psi. This afternoon, it was 49.

I just got a bill from the company that did the damage. I'm hesitant to pay before I'm reasonably confident their repair job won't leak (the bill is for their other work, aka, they did not charge to repair their mistake).

Any additional thoughts?

Fill it with water then put 80 psi of air on it then isolate the portion of the system to be tested if possible then wait an hour.
If it drops then you have a leak. But that doesn’t mean the leak is where your damage was.

If you have a water meter that’s a good way to check for a leak. I read that you have a well.

You could dig up the repair.

I suggest buying a water meter off eBay and installing it in your pump house.

Thanks. I'm not sure how I'd fill with water. ??

All this is new. And it could be a year or longer before I get everything hooked up...including a water meter.

Thanks. I'm not sure how I'd fill with water. ??

All this is new. And it could be a year or longer before I get everything hooked up...including a water meter.
Ok then use air. If you don’t compensate for temp changes then you’ll get different readings.

I don’t know how deep your repair is but you could dig it up and check it. Our lines are only 12-18” deep. 🙃

Back