Cooktop exhausts through thinwall tube though foundation. rainwater problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odyssues

Reaction score
This may be a little different from most drain issues and I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but it is difficult to describe. I am a (very modest) DIYer, so your kind patience appreciated.

We moved into a new (to us) existing home which has a downdraft cooktop in the kitchen. The 4" downdraft exhaust goes down through the cabinet beneath, joins to a 6" thinwall PVC tube up from the foundation, then makes a tight(not sweep) 90 degree turn, then runs approx 30' through the foundation to the outside of the house and exhausts into a small covered concrete box about 8x10x10", the floor of which is about 10" below grade.

When the inside of the tube is dry, the cooktop exhaust works just fine.

No amount of attempted waterproofing of the concrete box seems to work. Every time it rains after I have pumped it out, it fills again. So now ready to try a sump pump option.

I can think of two possibilities: One is to have a sump pump down in the elbow with a pump exhaust tube running the length of the existing pvc exhaust tube and dumping away from the exhaust box outside. I cannot tell what the floor of the elbow looks like or whether the low point is right at the bottom where the elbow is or elsewhere. So question one is what kind of pump is likely to be most effective given these unknowns? I don't know anything about sump pumps, so it would seem that one with a very low suction point would be most effective. Is there a pump that lays horizontally?

Two is what kind of float might be effective in this situation? Clearly it needs to cut off before the water level drops to the same level as the pump intake so the pump doesn't run dry, and hopefully that water level will be low enough to clear the tube sufficiently for the cooker exhaust to function.

If anyone can form an idea from all of the above and send a photo or URL of a candidate pump, that would be most helpful.

I don't know what the air temp of the exhaust gas will be, but likely pretty high, so what type of tubing for the pump exhaust should I use? (I am assuming that the pump will not have a heat issue, but that may be wishful thinking?)

Alternative two would be a pump in the cabinet beneath the cooktop with two tubes from the pump going into the vertical part of the pvc tube, one short one just to the elbow to serve as water intake and the other (exhaust) going all the way to the outside. Same question regarding heat issues?

The advantage of this arrangement may be that, by fiddling with the intake tube, the water level may be able to be reduced lower than alternative one. The disadvantage is that it will need to be activated by a manual switch (unless a float might also work in this arrangement?)

Whew! Apologies again for the length and thanks for any guidance and ideas you might have (please keep in mind I am a noob).

is there anyway to reroute it you said you could see 30"
or so or could you dig around the pipe removing as much dirt
as possible then fill it with crushed stone I'm not sure a
sump pump would work if its exposed to the elements
if you live we're it gets cold enough to freeze it would also freeze
I wonder how that would pass inspection if its partially below grade

Thanks for yours.

The cooktop is on the opposite wall (btw, an interior wall) from the exterior wall where the tube exhausts.

The sump pump would be immediately below the cooktop in the center of the house (which is where the low point in the tube is and where the accumulated water blocks the exhaust flow.)

I cannot see the 30' tube at all except where it is visible at the base of the slab. The tube runs from beneath the cooktop, 30' under the kitchen to that point. The house sits on top of it, which is why I can't tell if it is in the slab, or under it. In any case, it never gets cold enough here to freeze the soil under that room, or any thing in the tube including pump or water. Even if it did, there is no pressure in the tube so the water freezing would not be likely to damage the tube. Should the pump ever freeze, it could simply be pulled up the downtube under the cooktop and replaced.

It seems that 30 feet is a long ways for an exhaust. Are you saying that your house sits on a slab.? Is there a way to vent it right out through the side of the house like there suppose be.

It seems that 30 feet is a long ways for an exhaust. Are you saying that your house sits on a slab.? Is there a way to vent it right out through the side of the house like there suppose be.

Yes-slab, as stated in previous post. The cooktop is in the center of the house and there is no way to run it out upwards without having a big new hood and up tube over it, which I do not want.

I think you have to dig down (it's hard to get a visual) so could you dig
out some dirt install pump with a float dig so that the pump
is below the pipe if you could Hilda it up with crushed stone at least
the water has some place to go and if it over fills the pump would
would take care of it

Are you thinking of a new pump box outside, underneath the existing 6" exhaust tube so that it is pumping any rainwater out fast enough to keep the water level from reaching the bottom of the 6" tube, thereby keeping the entrance of the 6" tube dry?

sound like you have limited options so I would remove as much
dirt as possible put the pump in(protect it from sucking up
dirt) sit if on something I have installed sump pumps in a 5 gallon
bucket cover the bucket in landscape fabric zip tie fabric
to the bucket (forgot) drill holes in bucket first then put the crushed stone
(Pea stone) down that way the water has some place to drain (beneath)
you 90 hopefully what I explained didn't sound to confusing

To awnser your question yes ,that's the only way without really
seeing it you could use the pea stone in place of the dirt so it
can drain below the fitting

and the pump would take over in heavier rain suruations

Last edited:
Back