Converting sink drain to tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the 1/4 per foot is standard but for the toilet I had read that 1/8 inch is good, especially for 4" pipe (this is 3"). Supposedly any solids in that are flushed might not flush as well as the liquid would drain faster, leaving the solids behind. But I have also seen that claim disputed. As I said, right now it is at 3/16 over 18 inches and I guess I should raise is just a hair.

I haven't glued in the top sanitary tee or vent pipe yet. That's why it looks so clean! But thanks.

That dropped the trap quit a bit. Looks good.
As for the 1/4" /ft. Not that critical for just the short length going from flange to santee.

Wow... only been a year since I posted here.

Either I haven't worked on the bathroom or I don't need help.

It's actually both. As I haven't worked on it much (especially the plumbing) I haven't ended up doing anything so that I need help.

But today that changes....

Finishing up the enclosure for the tub and sweating in the roman tub rough-in and fixtures. Went to test for leaks and no leaks. Yeah!

But now there are complaints of no hot water in the house. Hmmmm.. Water coming from hot roman tub tap is only warm. Initially is warmer then gets cooler. I check out the water heater and it is making noise (only 2 years old)...

So... currently the shower is already to be tiled (including a mud base) but haven't installed fixtures for tub.. just a rough in. Then I realized (or rather hoped) that that is the cause. There is a text cap on the Delta shower rough in.. so cold water is mixing back thru the system. As soon as I shut off the cold supply to the bathroom and left the hot on... it got hot again.

Does that seem logical? I wanted to proceed with closing up the tub base to prep for tiling. I guess to be sure I should just order it but that will be another delay.

Thanks

So is it reasonable to assume that caused the lack of hot water elsewhere in the house and not just there in the new tub which is close to the shower where the mixing is taking place?

I'm having a hard time visualizing the physical process whereby cold water mixes thru the shower and gets into the hotwater pipes everywhere.

After looking at the pipe layout in basement I can see how the cold water got into all the hot piping elsewhere.

Thnx

Actually finished this project (as least most of it) in the summer and started using it. As the drain had never been used after moving in we ended up calling Rotor Rooter to clean out the pipe as it was backing up into the basement. Anyway... now I get email from them and yesterday received one talking about avoiding frozen pipes.

I forgot about insulating the pipes that are exposed, which are behind the shower. The room where they are is not outside but is currently the equivalent to the attic, temperature-wise. The next project is to finish this space, but in the meantime, it is can be pretty cold in winter.

Especially now that the temp is 6 deg. It's only Maryland so not super cold.

Last night I just put a light out near the area where the pipes are exposed and checking the thermometer I stuck out there it is almost 40 deg.

I was planning on wrapping with foam insulation and then hanging some more fiberglass in front of it. Then covering that with some old drywall temporarily.

I was thinking about pipe tape but am not sure how safe that would be.

If we leave the house during the winter I will just shut off the water in the basement where it leads up to the bathroom.

I know the light is not the most economical method but maybe is safer than the pipe tape.

The pipe to the shower head does run to the right behind the chimney. I think I can shove some insulation in there.

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a couple of months, but I'd love to see the end results-- once they are done. Looks like quite a long and complicated process, but the progress is great. :)

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a couple of months, but I'd love to see the end results-- once they are done. Looks like quite a long and complicated process, but the progress is great. :)

Ditto...want to see how it turned out !!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back