Converting sink drain to tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have made some quick changes as per Mr D's recommendations.

P7120324A.jpg

Bob1231... there's a Fernco connecting shower PVC vent to existing copper vent.

At the top of the stack, there is a Proflex connecting 2" PVC vent to existing 2" copper vent which goes thru roof. I do want to switch the copper to PVC as the fitting around the vent is leaking a bit. I have a new one, but didn't feel like getting up on the 2 story roof just yet. Was hoping acceleration of gravity might lower a bit first.

Mr D.... There is a 3" Wye under the toilet Santee. I do have a 3" combo available. Should I try to use that for the toilet??

P7120322.jpg

First pict shows an alternate route for the shower drain. But there are issues with one of the holes that I drilled earlier as it is too low.. or that charred hole is too high.

P7120323.jpg

I've a couple of ideas to strengthen the joist. I like the strap idea the best, though I guess they would have to be pretty thick. Maybe a long steel plate on the top?

As there is no joists at the edge of the wall all the way around the room, was thinking of leaving that lip of old subfloor for new subfloor. So a steel plate on top of joists would not be in the way. comments?

Havasu... Are you crazy? I'll give you a finger! :)

P6200276.jpg

Mr D... on that 2 options picture... Not really sure what best option is regarding drilling through that joist.

Yellow involves expanding the existing hole, but most of cutting is at the end of that short joist piece.

Magenta cuts right thru both, but right over the supporting wall. Would produce the least amount of turns: 1 90 to right then a 45 down.

Cyan needs a single hole on the short section of joist and gets pipe farthest away from toilet pipe. But most turns: 2 horiz 90 deg turns then maybe two 45 vertical down.

P7120001B.jpg

Last edited:
Oh... if shower drain must be 2", does the same go for the shower vent or can I get by with the 1.5"?

I prob should replace the 1.5" copper with 2" PVC for vent because one elect. wire in attic is stuck under that 1.5" copper. That 1.5" then connects to 2" copper at a tee with the 2" that drops down into room not being used. I'd run 2" pvc to the 2" copper, replacing tee with elbow and joining with fernco.

Dang! I did ask for a picture.:eek:
Sorry if I seemed a little insensitive.
Hope it heals quickly.

1 - 1/2" vent is okay for shwr.

Do NOT use a combo for toilet waste line connection to vertical stack.
Santee is Okay.
The magenta route is best.
You can use a 90 after the last joist hole and a 45 to turn the section of pipe from the wye up.
make sure you also install a clean out @ the vanity sink. You have a lot of turns in that set up.

Looking better.
I'll bet your wife will be happy when you get this all back together.

Your alternate shwr drain does not gain any advantage . you still have to tie the sink drain to it

Thanks for all the answers. I really do appreciate it..

Having just bought a new Dewalt 1/2 drill yesterday cutting thru both joists with holesaw will be a piece of cake. The old Skil drill was on it's last legs. The new one is also a hammer drill.. and was only $69!

And I didn't think anyone was being insensitive about finger injury. It's the damn finger that's too sensitive right now.

We never have actually used this bathroom. When we moved in to the house in Feb I started to demolish it.

Where did you find a DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill for $69? I blew out the clutch last year on mine and the factory gave me a deal to repair it for only $99. Doesn't sound like much of a deal now!

Okay plumbing fans, I'm hoping the following picts will be met with approval. I think I have configured everything according to Dave.

Not quite sure about the clean-out I added at the sink. There were not a lot of options for cleanout plugs in the 1.5" size at the store. So once the vanity and sink are installed (I dream of that day) some adjustments will likely be needed.

I wasn't able to follow exactly Dave's recommendation regarding the confluence of the sink and shower drains. Hopefully the long sweep 2" 90 will be okay.

First the overview.

P7150007.jpg

Close-up of shower...

P7150006.jpg

toilet and sink

P7150008.jpg

different angle on toilet

P7150010.jpg

the Wye under toilet santee and tub drain

P7150011.jpg

And last, but not least... recent finger pict

P7130004.jpg

Comments, please? And thanks in advance.

Alan

That the same finger you showed in the previous pic?
That looks like your index finger and the other one looks like your,
Hello, How are you, Have a nice day, Saluting finger.

Looking good- The drains -
Replace the combo tee on sink drain with a santee for the same reason you change the one for the tub

P7150008.jpg

P7110319.jpg

one more thing.
Better flow with the least amount of total combined # of degrees in turns.
You have a lot turns. A cleanout would be nice on the vent but not really necassary.
The 2" shower drain can easily be used to snake the drain out if needed.

P7150006.jpg

Last edited:
Those drains are close to the top of the floor.
Don't nail 'em when you put the floor down.

This is a job I did a few days ago.
When they set a trim pc in a hall way the set it right over the vertical drain stack.
Nailed that baby over a dozen times

011 (800x600).jpg

016 (800x600).jpg

022 (800x600).jpg

019.jpg

017 (800x600).jpg

That's a big oops!

Is that what is known as "trim venting"? I wonder how long it was like that before you repaired it.

Often I am amazed how often things like that, while clearly not good, can just be lived with, with the damage slowly building up until ***B A M !!!!**** the whole house falls down! Well, not even that.

Our kitchen sink drain had a leak which damaged the floor of the cabinet (we wondered why there is only sub-floor below sink) and also leaked down into basement... drip... drip... drip... and rotted out part of a joist. There's still a small leak in a supply pipe in the basement under kitchen sink which I haven't replaced yet.

OMG!! THIS HOUSE IS SOOOO EFF'ED UP you wouldn't believe it.!!!

"You're damn right it is!!!"

Back in December when realtor showed this house, the owner was here. My girlfriend (no, we're not married) told the owner "You have a very nice house".. just to be polite. Her response was "You're damn right it is." The house was for sale for almost 2 years and the owner was underwater BIG time. She was original owner and yet it was mortgaged to the hilt!

So whenever we find some new problem (which is constantly) we say.. "You're damn right it is!" :D

Latest posts

Back