Convert well system to city water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freecrowder

Reaction score
I'm going to convert my well to city water because of DEQ. I need to know anything I might not be thinking of. We are going to cut the line coming into the house and connect to city. The end going back to the well will be capped and the well used for irrigation. A few things, the pressure tank will still be plumbed to the city side now. Does it have to be removed? Will the in ground water system work without causing well pump problems if I just turn on the pump when i'm watering and off when the valves shutoff? Will the pressure from city be ok with existing plumbing?

"Because of DEQ"? I would never give rights to my drinking water to any government entity. How can DEQ make you abandon your well? At least you are keeping it for irrigation, so when the government decides to cut off your water, you can at least get a drink from your irrigation well. The pressure tank needs to stay with the well pump, or you will need to get a pump start relay in your irrigation controller to run the pump. The government has tried several times over the years to force people to abandon their private wells and trust the government for their water supply. Water 2000 was a big push that failed thankfully. Let the government totally control your water supply and keep honest citizens from owning guns, and guess what happens next?

Yeah I agree with you on DEQ. The problem is that my wife runs a daycare out of the house. Daycares have a very high level of gov regulations. testing water is one. If I go to city then DEQ goes away. I plan on pump start relay from controller. With a zone turned on it shouldn't let the pressure get to high correct?

Do not leave your pressure tank with the city feed. Remove it.

Yeah I agree with you on DEQ. The problem is that my wife runs a daycare out of the house. Daycares have a very high level of gov regulations. testing water is one. If I go to city then DEQ goes away. I plan on pump start relay from controller. With a zone turned on it shouldn't let the pressure get to high correct?

"Daycare at the house". I hear you! Just went through that with another person. They really have you by the bxxxs. TOO MANY REGULATIONS!!! I would rather my kids drink well water than toxic-ly chlorinated city water. Test the well water. If it passes the test it should be fine. If it doesn't pass the test it needed fixing anyway. I feel for you. Maybe after today we can get a few more frivolous and worthless regulations cancelled. I wonder what the regulations for a day care are in Venezuela? Hope we are not headed that way.

Yes the pump start relay will work without a pressure tank. But you will need to match the irrigation zone size to the output of the pump. Too much flow and pressure will be low. Too little flow per zone and the pressure will be high. You can use a CSV with a pump start relay, and it will make the pressure the same on any size zone. I would also remove the tank from the city side as it can contaminate your drinking water. City water stays at the same pressure most of the time, so water in the tank will get stale if not contaminated. Also install a pressure relief valve after the CSV on the well system. This will protect your pump in the event the pump start relay starts the pump yet the sprinklers failed to come up. Gofers in our area eat the sprinkler wires and this happens all the time.

Ok sounds good. Yeah after my water passed all the tests for daycare they decided to test for Arsenic even though they are not supposed too. came in at 11PPBillion!!

Ok sounds good. Yeah after my water passed all the tests for daycare they decided to test for Arsenic even though they are not supposed too. came in at 11PPBillion!!

Yeah and the government just changed the limit from 50PPB to 10PPB, so at 11PPB your screwed. I would make them test it again. Can't be accurate enough for only 1 part per billion to make the difference. We had communities with 13, 18, even 25 PPB that never had any problems and residents all lived to be 100 years old. But the day they changed to 10 PPB, these communities had to spend millions on Arsenic removal. What a scam!

Back