Conversion of well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X2mcx2

Reaction score
Good afternoon, was hoping someone could help me with a conversion option. I just bought a house that has an old deep well. It has an old 45 gallon tank along with a jet pump with double lines. The water table is currently 23 ft deep.
I want the new system to be strictly used for lawn irrigation, my question is, can I convert this to one of the small 5 gallon tanks with attached pump and a single drop? Please let me know if I can offer any other info.

A single line jet pump can only lift about 24' max. With water level at 23' you are limited to a deep well two pipe jet, or if the casing is large enough ID you can use a submersible. A 45 gallon size tank only holds 10 gallons of water. That tank is not big enough without a Cycle Stop Valve. However, with a CSV you only need a 4.5 gallon size tank. So, if you want to reduce the size of the system and have strong constant pressure to the house, you need a pump large enough to handle your max flow rates and pressure, then a PK1A kit to make it do what you want.

pk1a-md.jpg

A single line jet pump can only lift about 24' max. With water level at 23' you are limited to a deep well two pipe jet, or if the casing is large enough ID you can use a submersible. A 45 gallon size tank only holds 10 gallons of water. That tank is not big enough without a Cycle Stop Valve. However, with a CSV you only need a 4.5 gallon size tank. So, if you want to reduce the size of the system and have strong constant pressure to the house, you need a pump large enough to handle your max flow rates and pressure, then a PK1A kit to make it do what you want.

View attachment 28630

Thankyou for the response. The ID is 4 inches. With the well going to be used strictly for irrigation, what do you recommend for a setup.

4" steel casing might be rusty and a little tight for a regular 4" pump. But if it will fit a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump is probably all you need. If the 4" casing is rusty and a tight fit for the 3.75" pump you can use a 3" pump like the 10SQ05-200. The 4" pump will be much less expensive if it will fit. Either of these pumps will work with the PK1A kit, which is all you need to control the pump.

Latest posts

Back