Continuing trouble with tankless hot water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Bojan

Reaction score
I posted here a week or two ago with problems with my hot water heater. I have tried a few things and have more information. I'm more confused now then I was a week ago. This is a Navien NPE-240A, about 4 years old, on city water.
This all started suddenly when any single faucet (except the high volume master bath) would only give luke warm water. Looking at the info on the hot water heater, it was only registering about 1.2 gpm, with an outlet temp of around 100 deg F (the water heater was set at 125 deg F). Turning on two faucets would give piping hot water with flow over 2 gpm, and outlet temp at 125 deg F.
My first fix was to pull and clean the filters. They looked clean. I cleaned and replaced them. Then water was leaking inside the unit. I pulled the cover off to find the pump air separator on the recirc pump spraying water. It was pretty scaled up. I dismantled it, cleaned it in vinegar, and reassembled. All worked fine, except no change in the hot water at lower flow.
My next trial was to de-scale the unit. I ran cleaning vinegar through the system for 30 minutes. I thought it might have helped a little, as I did get hot water from a single faucet sometimes, but not consistently.
So I ordered a replacement flow sensor, and received that tonight. I put it in, and the water ran straight through the unit and out the condensate drain. While the new flow sensor was in, my flow and temperature fluctuated all over the place. Water was running out of the condensate drain like an open faucet. I put the old flow sensor back in and am back to square one.
Any other ideas at this point?

I would get a Navien certified service on it. No offense to you but that is why i hate tank less water heaters. My parents went 10 days last summer with no hot water from there Navien, waiting on warranty part to come in and get installed. Back when i was in the field i probably put 40 of them in with many service/warranty calls on them. Hope you get it fixed.

Get a professional. I’ve spend a lot of time working on this problem. If you aren’t willing to hire a professional, bite the bullet and replace the unit. At 4 years old it’s still under “parts” warranty but this problem is hard to chase. Call Navien tech support and see what they say. They’ll throw parts at you until the cows come home. Good luck with that.

If vinegar helped a little why don't you buy the real biodegradable cleaning solution that is made for cleaning out
tankless water heaters. Using this product with a pump takes about 45 minutes or so. In your case I would run it
longer and try to get it as clean as possible.

Sounds like a lemon i would have them send you a new unit, also be sure you descale it with flowaid for atleast sn hour

Is your water heater in a room with a washer and dryer?

Navien will run through everything with a professional. RenewDave gave the right answer.

Back