Constant Sewage smell in washroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo_brio88

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Leo and I live in Portugal. I signed up here because I don't know where else to find a solution to this problem.

In my dad's house we have to constantly have the door to the washroom closed or else it will fill the whole house with a foul smell. Now you can imagine how it smells in there when the door is open...

This washroom was originally designed to be used with a sepric tank and it was fine back then, but than the public sewage line passed through town so it was implemented on our house and since than there is this constant smell and no matter what we try, nothing helps, anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance
Leo

Do you have a P trap stopping the sewage vapors from entering the room? I had a similar issue in my laundry room recently. I poured a few tablespoons of baking soda, then chased with a 1/2 gallon of white vinegar, and let it sit for 20 minutes. I then chased with a few gallons of water. It cleaned up all the gunk on the walls and now the room no longer smells.

Do you have a P trap stopping the sewage vapors from entering the room? I had a similar issue in my laundry room recently. I poured a few tablespoons of baking soda, then chased with a 1/2 gallon of white vinegar, and let it sit for 20 minutes. I then chased with a few gallons of water. It cleaned up all the gunk on the walls and now the room no longer smells.
Hi Havasu,

Thx for the reply!

hmm what is a ptrap? is it this solution of baking soda and vinegar you mentioned or is a p trap something else?

1597169810211.png

This is a P Trap. It is designed to hold water in the U at the b in the picture. The water prevents smells from entering the room. Sometimes crud will siphon off the water, so the baking soda and vinegar scrubs the pipes on the inside, often allowing the P Trap to work again.

View attachment 25148

This is a P Trap. It is designed to hold water in the U at the b in the picture. The water prevents smells from entering the room. Sometimes crud will siphon off the water, so the baking soda and vinegar scrubs the pipes on the inside, often allowing the P Trap to work again.
Alright thanks so much man, next time I'm with my dad I'm going to tell him about this.

If your plumbing is old and crudely built, there could be a dozen things wrong that can cause stink and sewage smells.

Yep the p-trap is the key. A dry trap is also a problem. You need to run a little water in each fixture occasionally to keep the trap from drying out. The plumbing codes and standards vary greatly around the world. Portugal is considered Western Europe I believe so the standards should be pretty high. Oh you might want to check the base of the toilet. If there's an odor from there you can caulk all the way around the base of the toilet. Hope that helps

Back