Constant Faint Blub Blub/Dull Thump Thump Sound From Wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Burnham

Reaction score
I am hearing a constant faint Blub Blub/Thump Thump sound from upper first floor wall on a 2 story home, It is constant. To hear it the TV has to be off. Our upstairs consists of a hallway bathroom with dual vanity sinks, we do not use those sinks, a toilet, that I have removed 1 week ago. A shower/bathtub combo which we don't use. A master Bathroom, dual vanity sinks which we use, separate bathtub that we don't use, separate shower that we do use and a new toilet. The toilet (1 year old) drain line (Cleaned Out 1 Year Ago) appears to be connecting to the hallway toilet drain as they are right next to each other separated by a wall and the drain line heads in that direction. So far, I have turned off all the incoming water from the main and opened all of the faucets and flushed all toilets to empty the system, Blub Blub sound is still there, so I believe it is not a water supply issue. I have turned off the hot water heater for 12 hours and that did not solve the issue. I have looked at the roof and it appears that I have 4 vent pipes sticking out of that particular area however I am not sure if they are just for the upstairs or not. I took the hallway toilet off so that I could allow air into the system. That did not solve the problem, all fixtures seem to be draining properly, no drains blocking up and no sounds at the fixtures themselves. Also, I did have the ground level main cleaned out from the first floor toilet to the main line in the street about 1 year ago.
Help, I feel like I have Gremlins in the wall.
Thanks, Al

With everything off it sounds like a drain or vent pipe is full of water and gasping for air and gulping once in a while. Is there anyway
you can get on the roof and have somebody put their ear to the wall where you hear this at and then you tap on the pipes and see if
that is one of the vents coming out. If so, put a hose down the vent and let it run to flush it out and see if that helps or not. Keep us informed.

Back