Connecting ProPex pex-a to pex-b or pex-c

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomNH

Reaction score
I have some existing pex lines (running from basement to attic) that need to be extended. I am using Uponor's AquaPex (pex-a) and the ProPex expansion fittings, but I also have crimp rings and tools available. How should I couple the existing non-pex-a line to the new pex-a line? I know you should only expand pex-a, and shouldn't be crimping pex-a, so it's a bit confusing when trying to do everything correctly.

Crimp all the connections between the different PEX types. I do not know where you got your bad information but, you can crimp PEX-A all day long.

The instructions/manual I got from Uponor said the only approved connection method for hePex and AquaPex was their ProPex expansion rings and fittings. I can believe the claim that this is just them pushing their proprietary tools/rings, but crimping does lower the warranty on their tubing from 25 years to 10 years:

(a) Twenty-Five (25) years for Uponor AquaPEX-a® tubing,
Uponor ProPEX® fittings and ProPEX® rings when all are
installed in combination with each other;
(b) Ten (10) years for Uponor AquaPEX-a® tubing when
installed in combination with non-Uponor fittings;

As you said, they are pushing their proprietary system. The way to maintain the full warranty would be to use male and female pipe thread fittings to connect the two PEX types.

Latest posts

Back