Connecting 3" ABS pipe into 3" Cast Iron hub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakumboakum

Reaction score
I was able to remove all the lead and okum from the cast iron "y" that is cemented into the garage floor. Now I need to temporarily install a 3" ABS pipe into the hub. Do you plumbing pros know if a Fernco donut or a Tyler Seal gasket will do the trick? I am going to install all new cast iron hub and spigot pipes and fittings later. I will install a new toilet flange, sanitary tee, 90 degree elbow, and about 15' of cast iron pipe with hub and spigot. I already checked pricing and know that it will not be cheap.

Why put ABS into the hub if you are going to redo it with CI?
Why would you redo it with CI hub and spigot unless you are trying to keep it original for historical reasons.
If so I would hire someone who knows how to pour lead and has the tools. That is almost a lost art.
Check the link I posted to your previous thread on replacing a cast iron closet flange.
You can insert a short piece of pipe, hand pack lead wool and oakum.
Then use NO-HUB couplings and fittings to rebuild your stack if you have to have CI for a fire rated application.
If it's not for historical reasons or for fire rated requirements why not just replace it all with ABS.
You can hand pack a short pc of ABS into the hub also.
Have any pictures?

Latest posts

Back