Connect HVAC drain line to sewer drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Peck

Reaction score
My drain pipe off of the HVAC system runs through my crawlspace and drains out into my back yard. I would like to eliminate the water mess in creates, so thinking of going down into crawlspace and cutting the drain pipe from the HVAC and connecting to another drain pipe in the crawlspace like maybe the drain from my kitchen sink, or bathroom sink, etc. Are there any code violations if I do that? If not, are the bathroom or kitchen sink drain pipes good choices to tap into for the HVAC drain? Mike

LET ME COUNT THE WAYS THAT WOULD VIOLATE CODES,
WHAT YOU NEED TO IS DIG A FRENCH DRAIN FOR YOUR HVAC TO EMPTY INTO,
THIS WATER IS THE EXCESS MOISTURE BEING PULLED OUT OF YOUR HOUSE BY YOUR A/C

My A/C guy, when he placed my A/C unit into the attic, placed the condensate line into a gravity fed vent line, basically making a wet vent. He also has a secondary catch pan with a 120v water intrusion alarm, and a third back up as a condensate line protruding over an exterior window, and it passed code in my area. 20151111_090347_resized.jpg

I never liked the pipe AC drains into the plumbing system to be honest I always thought it was hack work. I always pipe them outside where you can physically see it draining or I would drill into the gutter and have it drain into that

My dad collected the condensate in fifty gallon drums, and used it to feed drip emitters for the flower beds.

The amount of water the two a/c units produced in Vegas, at 14% or less relative humidity, was really surprising.

Local codes may restrict whether you can connect the condensate line to the sewer system. Depending on the situation at the treatment plant, they may or may not want the extra water. If it is in the sewer system it has to be treated, and that typically costs money.

One of the key elements of corporate time management is the standard for calendars and time planning. A unified system of time planning provides a significant increase in manageability for managers and the convenience of employees. What good programs with time tracking do you know? I found this program managemart and besides the scheduling, it has other cool functions, what do you think about this?

I have the impression you are a robot spammer. New to the forum, posting in existing threads, with no relationship to the posts before yours.

cut a tee into a vent pipe
install a tee and p trap
run the ac drain to the trap
What happens in the winter time when a/c isn’t running and the trap dries out? Sewer gas gets pulled into the airstream whenever the heat is on.

You need to pipe it into a wye branch tailpiece under a sink or outside into a dry well.

It is all in the plumbing code.
Ir is NOT code or safe to run condensate into a vent line "havasu". FAIL
It is called "indirect waste" IF YOU WANT TO USE INDOOR SANITARY PLUMBING do it to code.
There is a lot to know and too long to illucidate on Chapter 8 of the UPC/CPC at this hour for me.
Bottom lines:
IGNORE Rossando's incorrect comment without first having a proper indirect waste set-up.
Better: DO as voletl described and pipe to outside
A building code official that allows condensate to run into a vent line directly is incompetent, ignorant and lacks knowledge.
So passing an inspection, unfortunately in that case is bogus crap and not legitimate.
As to the Original post: Dig a 12 x 12 pit, line with filter cloth, fill with gravel/drain rock and run a piece of pipe up out of the gravel and cover with the drain cloth then dirt on top.
If your soil cannot percolate using that amount of volume, use a larger drain pit size.

Latest posts

Back