Confusion over shower pan install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1620562439254.png
We want to install these doors and use the Acrylic Shower Pan .
This picture seems to show tile on the shower floor
If I use an Acrylic Shower Pan I dont tile the pan, but the pan needs installed
first before I tile the walls, is this correct. ?
On the walls I would use a backer board just if I was tiling a bathtub with a shower , correct. ?
ask that because it looks like the tiles are even with the non tiled walls

yes, you install the shower pan and screw it to the wall,install rough in for shower faucet, then install backer board or durrock against the two wall, then tile up both walls as in photo , then install shower doors and faucet finishing, the do a very good job on cauking doors ,walls , anywhere it could leak .

The doors sit on what is called a curb, the curb is higher than the shower floor.

depending on the manufacture of your pan ,the sides of the pan will not have a curb. they will have a lip
only the sides that are exposed. will have a curb.

the pan pictured has exposed curb and a flanged lip for the backer board to slip into

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    241 KB · Views: 1
@Donald Dahlman I just did something similar. You should choose in advance of starting the project, the type of shower base you want, download the installation instructions (which should be available on the manufacturers website) and familiarize yourself with them. While you are at it get the instructions for the shower door as well, and familiarize yourself with those, too. You may need, for example, to add "nailer" studs so your mounting of the door will go into something solid.

As I recall, the "lip" on the shower base was about 3/16" thick and maybe 1" tall. The one I chose had these little "clips" that snapped onto the lip, and you mounted the clip to the studs. Others may have different schemes. The challenge you may have is that the corner isn't exactly square while the shower base is.

A Hardi-Backer board to use for tiling walls is a nominal .42" thick, just slightly less than typical drywall at .5". If there is sufficient nailer studs, you can butt one to the other and finish them, and then have the finish tile overlap the butt joint.

In the original configuration of my last home, the entire shower area was done first with green board, a sort of water resistant (but not really) drywall, and then the shower area received an additional layer of tile backer board. So, yes: there was a ½" overlay. The particular tile they used had a liner tile made specifically for this kind of installation. I don't know that many modern tiles come with anything like this.

Latest posts

Back