Condo- unit connecting water supply hoses

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACruz

Reaction score
Hi there!

I live in a condo and would like to know what to do if the unit that connects the hoses is broken and leaking. See picture. I am not sure what it is called so that I can look up a replacement and cost for replacement and potentially labor. All the hoses connected are in good condition… so is it possible to replace only the unit connecting them?

Attachments

• 5E41170F-C49A-4DD3-B059-A083DD10FEC2.jpeg
    5E41170F-C49A-4DD3-B059-A083DD10FEC2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Connect all the piping with fittings rather than that manifold system you currently have.

That’s the best explanation I can give you.

It’s a manifold, I’d reach out to viega.com and see if it’s under warranty.

While you can replace it with a bunch of tees and valves, it’s going to be a bit of a kludge.

Where’s it leaking? Maybe you can tighten the fasteners? <I’d have Plan B ready to implement in case something breaks, but I’m paranoid that way. >

I have heard of manifold distribution systems for water but never actually saw one in use. They are very common--and necessary mostly, in radiant heat applications. For water distribution, as shown, it's a bit of "overkill" in that you have separate lines for each access point in the condo. So, master bath, kitchen, etc. are all separately plumbed and well labeled. Kind of nice.

That one shown as noted is a Viega and they are fairly common. ManaBlocs ManaBlocs | viega.us Viega calls their product(s) for water distribution "maniblocs" while they have a separate product offering, similar, called manifolds under their heating products. One of the big differences is the "manifolds" are made of stainless steel and the "maniblocs" out of a plastic.

Spare parts are available and they also have a "Where to Buy" section on the website. Amazon seems to have plenty of them listed as well as the spare parts; well known supplier www.supplyhouse.com sells most of the Viega line.

Viega Blocs have a 10 or 15 year warranty but I’ve never had one god bad - had them freeze and crack, but not just bust a seam and leak. (Although you didn’t point out where it’s leaking?)

@wpns is correct, I’d give them a call and confirm.

Otherwise, replacing that unit is pretty straight forward and if you are at all “handy” should be able to handle it.

While you can replace it with a bunch of tees and valves, it’s going to be a bit of a kludge.

Where’s it leaking? Maybe you can tighten the fasteners? <I’d have Plan B ready to implement in case something breaks, but I’m paranoid that way. >
Thank you so much!!!

Viega Blocs have a 10 or 15 year warranty but I’ve never had one god bad - had them freeze and crack, but not just bust a seam and leak. (Although you didn’t point out where it’s leaking?)

@wpns is correct, I’d give them a call and confirm.

Otherwise, replacing that unit is pretty straight forward and if you are at all “handy” should be able to handle it.

Thank you! Manifold! That’s the word I was looking for! It is out of warranty! But helpful info!

I have heard of manifold distribution systems for water but never actually saw one in use. They are very common--and necessary mostly, in radiant heat applications. For water distribution, as shown, it's a bit of "overkill" in that you have separate lines for each access point in the condo. So, master bath, kitchen, etc. are all separately plumbed and well labeled. Kind of nice.

That one shown as noted is a Viega and they are fairly common. ManaBlocs ManaBlocs | viega.us Viega calls their product(s) for water distribution "maniblocs" while they have a separate product offering, similar, called manifolds under their heating products. One of the big differences is the "manifolds" are made of stainless steel and the "maniblocs" out of a plastic.

Spare parts are available and they also have a "Where to Buy" section on the website. Amazon seems to have plenty of them listed as well as the spare parts; well known supplier www.supplyhouse.com sells most of the Viega line.
Thank you so much for all this great info! It was super helpful!!!

Just saying, if you eliminate the "manibloc" manifold, and replace it with a quantity of tube/pipe nipples all threaded or soldered together, to replace the manifold, what you've done is create...a manifold. It will be different and won't have a "body" to crack or break but it's a manifold nonetheless.

You didn't actually indicate @ACruz that the manifold WAS leaking, but you said "if the unit that connects the hoses is broken and leaking..."

You can use a number of relatively low cost nipples/ells/fittings and basically make your own "manifold" out of brass or stainless. Once you start down that path and add up all the parts, you may realize that something pre-made is in order. So, you can buy a pre-made copper manifold that will likely not exhibit any cracking like plastic.

Here's one "pre-made" example. Typically used for radiant heat applications but no reason why you can use it to replace that plastic one. Just use it with the correct fittings. At $71 you'd be hard pressed to put together something with fittings completely, so this is a "running start" for you.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...ping&msclkid=923944f6f37413b5195b20a3e18293d7
I've got no relationship to SupplyHouse but they seem to have a large number of parts and fittings and the prices are right, service relatively swift.

The info was for my neighbor. She had a leak. Mine is still okay. But the part was out of warranty. She found a plumber who installed a new one for her yesterday . It was $$— So I hope mine doesn’t need to replaced anytime soon! Thank you all who replied!!

Just saying, if you eliminate the "manibloc" manifold, and replace it with a quantity of tube/pipe nipples all threaded or soldered together, to replace the manifold, what you've done is create...a manifold. It will be different and won't have a "body" to crack or break but it's a manifold nonetheless.

You didn't actually indicate @ACruz that the manifold WAS leaking, but you said "if the unit that connects the hoses is broken and leaking..."

You can use a number of relatively low cost nipples/ells/fittings and basically make your own "manifold" out of brass or stainless. Once you start down that path and add up all the parts, you may realize that something pre-made is in order. So, you can buy a pre-made copper manifold that will likely not exhibit any cracking like plastic.

Here's one "pre-made" example. Typically used for radiant heat applications but no reason why you can use it to replace that plastic one. Just use it with the correct fittings. At $71 you'd be hard pressed to put together something with fittings completely, so this is a "running start" for you.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...ping&msclkid=923944f6f37413b5195b20a3e18293d7
I've got no relationship to SupplyHouse but they seem to have a large number of parts and fittings and the prices are right, service relatively swift.
Thank you Mitchell!! Yeah, mine isn’t broken, but my neighbors was. Hers was leaking. Mine as of now is still in good shape and hoping it’s a while before I need to replace.

Also, we are in condos so I am not sure if our HOA requires us to stay with a similar system or if we are free to look into other systems. I would need to look into that.

@ACruz, as much as some of the old school plumbers--the professionals here--hate them, there's a number of smart reasons to have a manifold water distribution system. (and no I do not have one, nor have I actually seen one in use, but the logic follows nearly exactly, how a home is wired with electricity) Don't let anyone think your condo was "plumbed wrong" because of it.

Ask anyone who has been scalded when taking a shower when the nearby toilet is flushed. Or when your pressure at one faucet is significantly affected by water use at another. If you have a small to medium sized home, the cost increase is debatable, but if you have a larger home, unless you have more than one manifold system you've got a lot of pipe to run. But, there's NO fittings! Right, no Tees, no Ells, just a PEX tube ran continuous from one point to another. When I do a pre-drywall inspection and see the number of PEX crimps even to service one bathroom, all of that takes time...and time of a plumber (even the young buck you've hired to do the grunt work) is more than the cost of PEX. We're not dealing with copper any longer. At about $0.29/foot, who cares if you need another couple of hundred feet of PEX? No I'm not a pro, but I've done enough plumbing to know I'd rather run more tubing than make more connections. But to each their own.

Like anything else, there's a certain intelligence you must use in plumbing design. If your manifold is some distance from the primary bathroom, do you run three or four ⅜" or ½" lines each serving ONE faucet or fixture, or perhaps one larger line (say a ¾") that serves multiple; sort of a hybrid system? Or, do you use another manifold serving say, the upstairs and one downstairs? I don't know.

You cannot retrofit a system like this easily. But it's certainly another way of doing things, like it or not. If your manifold cracks, simply replace it. Easy. Parts and manifolds readily available should you need them.

Thank you!! Yeah I am not sure how plumbing works … I just know when it doesn’t lol and it’s stressful lol. I thought the manifold/manibloc was more common. It seems organized and I like that the pupes/tubes are labeled … and yeah so this means the water supply is separated from one another? The pressure of water running in the shower is never affected by running the kitchen sink or the washer, or flushing toilet. Which I love that!

Back