Condensation on Water Heater Cold Nipple

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BE CAREFUL that the replacement anode is no longer than the one that came out. The one I bought—magnesium rods on stainless cable, was longer than the old one. Had I dropped that into the tank it may have cracked the glass liner. Had to cut off a few inches of the bottom rod…

BE CAREFUL that the replacement anode is no longer than the one that came out. The one I bought—magnesium rods on stainless cable, was longer than the old one. Had I dropped that into the tank it may have cracked the glass liner. Had to cut off a few inches of the bottom rod…
You do realize that the glass lining develops a multitude of tiny stress fractures from the thermal cycling of the tank, right?

OK, than pay no attention and just drop the dang thing regardless of weight or length into the tank.
Me? I’ll pay attention to details.
That's not what I said at all. It's good to pay attention to the details. I was just saying that the glass lining is not this impermiable layer of protection that last forever. In my experience an anode rod generally only sits about 2/3 into the tank. If it was me I would carefully set it in place without modification first and then trim if necessary. Could get a few more inches of protection that way.

Back