Condensate Pump Drain Foul Odor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not in all cases. Not many places here.
Right, it’s all about where you’re working.
We can’t use the city sewer for condensate unless there’s no other good option.

That’s why I usually don’t speak to codes on a forum. I say if it’ll work or not. It’s up to them to find out if it’s allowed in their area.

Condensate drains need an air gap (when going into your drain system), and yes, the trap as previously indicated.
Not really, an indirect connection is good enough.

Air gaps air required for equipment such as commercial dishwashers and ice melt from ice machines.

In some areas even a high loop for a dishwasher and direct connection is legal. Others places want an air gap.

So there’s a difference between an air gap and an indirect connection.

Read the definition of each.

All air gaps are indirect connections but not all indirect connections are air gaps.

This will explain it better and give pictures.,
http://forms.iapmo.org/email_marketing/codespotlight/2017/July13.htm

Last edited:
Looks like the inspector didn't catch a lot of this mess in the basement. You didn't mention what the condensate is from. Uncapped piping, broken pipes? Not good.

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to add the proper p-trap system like above. Shouldn't be too hard and I've made a list of all the parts I need.

Appreciate the use of the forums.

Those AAV’s won’t do Jack but cost you 30 bucks and stink your room up when they fail in the situation above.
Don’t waste your money.

AAV let air into the system if the pipe fills up. A condensate line isn’t going to fill it up. Jeezzzzz

Back