Commercial Toilet Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afk780

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Been googling for answers and haven't found anything helpful, so I thought I'd turn to ya'll for some advice.

Living in a pre-war apartment building in NYC and we're experiencing issues with our toilet---which is a commercial/pressure-assisted toilet (which seems standard to every apartment in this building).

It flushes fine, but we've been seeing scraps of toilet paper float back up a few minutes after flushing. No real other uhh "remnants," just toilet paper.

I've talked to the super about it and so far he's only used a snake/something to see if there were any clogs/buildup. Didn't solve our problem and he's not inclined to do much more beyond that.

Anyone have an idea about what's going on with this toilet? Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Use better toilet paper, it sounds like you’re using that cheap single ply toilet paper that disintegrates too easily

Try a manual flush with a couple gallons in a bucket. If everything goes down fine you may have something restricting the jets when you flush. I am not sure what else as i dont do service.

You shut off the water at the stop, then remove the cap , inside you will find a leather disc with and agjusting screw .
1609797567893.png

Usually when paper is left it mean there is a partial blockage the supers auger may be going right by it. You can test it by balling up t-paper and flushing 1 ball and flush at a time try it about 10 times see what happens one other thing arcticbill showed you a pic of the flushometer the chrome part coming from the wall has a small chrome nut that covers a screw driver stop is it open all the way???????

Are you talking like a pressure assisted toilet with a tank?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll be trying out the manual flush method today and see what it yields.

@arctic bill : As for the flush valve, it's a "Rex Valve 1.6 GPF"

@SHEPLMBR : There's no tank

Are you talking like a pressure assisted toilet with a tank?
there are two types of toilets
1) toilet flush tank normally in every house
2) toilet flush valve , In large building where the water pressure and size can deliver huge quantities of water very quickly.

Latest posts

Back