Cold water issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontcounttoday

Reaction score
I moved into a new apartment a year ago and have had issues getting cold water. If it matters I'm on the third floor of a 3 story apartment. Newly renovated, and not sure how old the building is. The hot water is very very hot and is hot immediately upon turning the faucet on, in both the bathroom and kitchen. I like to bring a water bottle to work and if I don't leave it in the fridge overnight it means I go to work with warm water. It used to take about 10 minutes of running the water to get cold water, but now I've been leaving it run half an hour and it's still very warm. I no longer think it's possible for me to get cold water. I've never heard of this issue and I have no clue if my neighbors are effected. I have zero plumbing knowledge but if there is something easy I can look into awesome. Otherwise I'm calling my landlord real soon.

It sounds like you have a cross connection between the hot and cold water lines. The most common is a bad cartridge in a single handle tub or shower valve. When the cartridge fails it sometimes mixes the hot with the cold.

John

Is there a water heater in your unit or do each building has a water heater/boiler ?
You should ask a couple of your neighbors if they are having the same issue, that
info would be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Keep in mind that I'm retired and have the time to watch the forum. But I did replace a toilet yesterday. It was for a member of our senior center that needed a HC toilet. It's nice to be able to do things like that without trying to make a profit.

John

No water heater in my unit. I assume its 1 water heater for each 3 story building (3 interconnecting buildings) in the basement. I will definitely check with my neighbors later.

As to John, unless I am misunderstanding something, I don't think thats the issue. Then again I know nothing about plumbing at all. All I know is that its not an issue with just the bathtub/shower. It occurs in the kitchen as well which is an issue.

No water heater in my unit. I assume its 1 water heater for each 3 story building (3 interconnecting buildings) in the basement. I will definitely check with my neighbors later.

As to John, unless I am misunderstanding something, I don't think thats the issue. Then again I know nothing about plumbing at all. All I know is that its not an issue with just the bathtub/shower. It occurs in the kitchen as well which is an issue.

I think you are misunderstanding me. It would effect all the water in your home if the cartridge has failed in your bathtub/shower.

John

Keep in mind that I'm retired and have the time to watch the forum. But I did replace a toilet yesterday. It was for a member of our senior center that needed a HC toilet. It's nice to be able to do things like that without trying to make a profit.

John

Felt like old times :D

Latest posts

Back