Code for boiler room?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openhand

Reaction score
Hi All- I have been asked to rebuild the walls on an 8’x8’ boiler room in a public building that also contains the well pressure tank and controls. It is in a very damp basement of a public building near a river. The room is on a concrete slab but surrounding basement is dirt. The old oil boiler will go away and a wall mount LP hydronic unit goes in - existing zone runs will be re-used. Stud walls will be insulated with spray foam. My questions:
1. If I go with drywall, is 5/8” required for fire code?
2. Old drywall is spoiled from dampness (tape released, etc.)- is there a better moisture resistant wall covering I can use that would be code compliant?
3. Anything else come to mind I should be thinking about ?

Thanks!

You first need to find out why there is so much moisture in there. Groundwater seepage? Leaking equipment? Poor ventilation?

It’s a wet area generally and the dirt floor is damp around the boiler room slab with occasional active water around it. This won’t change. The strategy is to be sure the slab stays out of any active water by maintaining Swails and possibly to use wall coverings inside the room that are more moisture resistant. My other idea is to suggest a dehumidifier in the room. Any other wall covering ideas? Thanks!

I'd say dehumidifier with a pump the pump the water out of the space. The green sheetrock moisture resistant I'd go with that

Last edited:
Hi All- I have been asked to rebuild the walls on an 8’x8’ boiler room in a public building that also contains the well pressure tank and controls. It is in a very damp basement of a public building near a river. The room is on a concrete slab but surrounding basement is dirt. The old oil boiler will go away and a wall mount LP hydronic unit goes in - existing zone runs will be re-used. Stud walls will be insulated with spray foam. My questions:
1. If I go with drywall, is 5/8” required for fire code?
2. Old drywall is spoiled from dampness (tape released, etc.)- is there a better moisture resistant wall covering I can use that would be code compliant?
3. Anything else come to mind I should be thinking about ?

Thanks!
Assuming your governing code requires fire rated enclosure, you must find out what is required for a fire rating. For example 2 hour fire rating.
Then when you select the preferred material based on moisture reason you have to make sure it meets the required fire rating. And of course the thickness to achieve that rating is what you get.
Looks like Durock may meet the fire rating.
Oh ya, you have to make sure it's acceptable by the authorities for the proposed application.

Last edited:
Back