Cloudy water after heavy rain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Kramer

Reaction score
On a normal basis, our well water is wonderful. However, after a heavy rain, it turns cloudy. If I get a glass of water and set it on the counter for several days, it never clears. Is there a filter I can use to clear this up? I tried a 5 micron inline cartridge filter with no luck. Thanks.

Rain getting into a water well is not good. The rain maybe clean, but it takes dog crap, fertilizer, pesticides, and other things down the well. The well casing should be properly sealed to the earth with cement or Bentonite. You may also have a hole or crack in the casing. Filtering is the last resort. You need to solve the well contamination problem first.

If the top of the casing is open, you can attach a pitless adapter to seal it from rain and groundwater getting in on top.

Like Jeff says if the top of the well is open a pitless cap or well seal will keep the rain out. But I would imagine the rain is getting in from the ground around the casing, not directly from the top of an open casing.

I hope your not drinking this water!

Back