Closet Flange Installed Correctly?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@soonerbrink, can you excavate on the outside of the flange next to the washer to see if there is PVC there or if it is open? You may still need to get two wrenches and have one grip the bolt above the nut and another to grip below and see if you can remove the nut to see if that gives the bolt any movement.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to deal with this with the toilet still in place. You will need to have the toilet removed to mess with the flange/bolts.

I hope you can get this resolved. Worst case you could get an inside cutting attachment for PVC and remove the entire flange & replace it with a new one so it is slotted correctly.

Thanks for the input.

I am going to try a cutting wheel on a dremel to open the hole. The only other idea is to put a spacer like this Oatey 43646 Closet Flange Spacer, 1/2 in T, PVC, White
on top, but then I would still have to drill through the pvc and concrete and fasten this to both, and put some type of sealant in between.

Hopefully after further investigation the holes are slotted... and if not, hopefully the dremel will do the trick.

I love the enthusiasm, but I must ask how can you possibly know for sure when nobody else is able to confirm?

Well in the 2nd post i included picture of one that wasn't slotted, and the link to the mfg of this model number has non-slotted. I should be able to tackle this later this week and find out.

I love the enthusiasm, but I must ask how can you possibly know for sure when nobody else is able to confirm?
Because we're professional plumbers and we see this stuff everyday....in your second post the first attachment is the type of flange you have. the closet bolts are inserted into the stationary slots instead of the adjustable slots. this could have been solved a long time by simply loosening the nuts and sliding the bolts out and installing new ones.

1586206325605.png

Last edited:
As I said before, and prior to all the research... that the bolts were heavily corroded and if I messed them up by trying to remove the bolts and they couldn't come out, then I would have been in trouble and without having that toilet usable.

I hope you are right! and I'll update when I find out.

Well in the 2nd post i included picture of one that wasn't slotted, and the link to the mfg of this model number has non-slotted. I should be able to tackle this later this week and find out.

REALLY???

PROVIDE the link to the mfg of that model

I ,think you are telling TROLL fibs

Reactions: bbp
REALLY???

PROVIDE the link to the mfg of that model

I ,think you are telling TROLL fibs
As I stated the link is already in the second post. No troll here, just stating what was already stated in the second post.

........... No troll here, just stating what was already..............
"Methinks the ________ doth protest too much."
You ask advice, then argue against the advice you get?
I've seen it before on forums; you may not be a troll, but it's trollish behavior
Covid-19 - = - too much time our hands.
Good Luck, and Stay Well

Thanks to all that provided helpful information. And thanks to those as well that said there weren’t links in post that were there. Thanks to those that said items weren’t produced when that I had pictures of them in the post, thanks to the two ‘professionals’ that were sure the hole was closed while the other was sure it was slotted.

I asked how to proceed if I am not able to remove the bolts. I thank those that provided the information so I can move forward with a plan in place.

I’ll step aside as requested and proceed with the knowledge I have gained to do the repair, and won’t waste anyone else’s time that keeps following this post.

Thanks again!

Looks like there may be some miscommunication here. Trying to make sense of this, I think the following.
The OP looked up the model number of that flange shown in that first post. It shows no slots cut in on the circumference of the flange.
Although this one is obviously not the same as what he has.

FlushTite_CLR_86150.jpg
As opposed to this one.
21828-e08b3726c3ae95d61b3a0ee26be76953.jpg
Which means the bolt in that first picture MAY be thru those closed circular holes.
Assuming there are heads on those bolts, located on the underside of the flange, I believe led him to his problem as to how do you get them out.

I suspect, without removing the flange, you would have to cut in those small slots, as the one I'm pointing at above.

But in any case, this is all speculation on what he may find when he removes the 2nd toilet, which he doesn't know what he'll find.

I say just remove the 2nd toilet and deal with whatever is there. Rather than trying to get recommendations based on what MIGHT be there.

Last edited:
Am I correct in believing that the original flange was installed incorrectly?
That's what I understood, based on the first and third line of his first post.
I think he may have confused things a bit when he made mention of the purple primer.

SIGH>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe a visual will help
This Image shows the OP's flange that he uploaded.
NOTE. It does not have 4 slots. It only has 2 slots
So. Common sense is this is NOT the 4 slotted

IT Is very common, for the closet bolts to be bolted to the flange like the image the op presented has
1586281984010.png
Closet bolts with lock nuts are sold to be installed in this manor
1586282010394.png
FlushTite_CLR_86150.jpg21828-e08b3726c3ae95d61b3a0ee26be76953.jpg

If the OP would stop trolling long enough to CLEAN the junk off the flange he would see it is as the Plumbers on this forum have suggested it is
He says the nut will not budge. If you look at the nut it has junk on it. IF A WRENCH had been applied then the junk would have been removed where the wrench came in contact with the metal. This is referred to as TOOL MARKS

I used to bolt all my brass closet bolts down, 5/16" jam nuts. Saved a lot of headaches.

Am I correct in believing that the original flange was installed incorrectly?

No Sir. The Flange was not installed incorrectly
The round slots on the side of the flange are there for the a bolt to be attached just as it is

The round slots are Stronger than the long slotted ones.
the long ones tend to break. where as the non slotted do not

Is hasn't been established that the flange the OP has, does in fact have the small slots on the edge.

It really doesn't matter what that flange we are looking at has, since the toilet has already been replaced. It the one we haven't seen yet. So all this speculation is just a good way to pass time. :)

Last edited:
1] It appears to me the closet flange was installed incorrectly.

2] It appears the flange is connected to the pipe with the purple pipe sealant.

3] If one of the closet bolt is corroded and broken, what are my options for replacing the closet bolts?

1]]The closet has not been installed incorrectly
2] sloppy glue job
3] clean the junk off the nut and unscrew the nut

Not sure what you're trying to convey.

Yes we are aware that there are only two(long) slots in OP's flange.

The image you show as an example of common methods to secure bolt doesn't apply to his problems, since as you pointed out, his bolts are not in long slots.

I guess I'm missing it. But my mind works slow some times.

what am I trying to convey?
loosen the nut and remove the bolt.
from the flange that is not installed incorrectly

Latest posts

Back