Closet Flange Installed Correctly?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerbrink

Reaction score
It appears to me the closet flange was installed incorrectly.

It appears the flange is connected to the pipe with the purple pipe sealant.

If one of the closet bolt is corroded and broken, what are my options for replacing the closet bolts?

Attachments

• IMG_8849.jpg
    IMG_8849.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 26
The logo on my flange has a big "W" but I'm not sure which brand.

I looked up the numbers and it showed the top two numbers on the list (but they don't have spec sheets)

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/water-tite/closet-flanges/flush-tite-closet-flanges/
Well not exactly sure what mine is... but sounds like there are 3 different possibilites.

solid hole
open on end of hole
open on end of hole and gap to slide closet bolt.

In case mine is a sold hole? What's the best route to take?

Cut off the remaining piece of the bolt, grind out part of a new spacer so I can slide the closet bolt in to the spacer (I don't think space will be an issue.)?

Attachments

• 31mzap82m+L._AC_.jpg
    31mzap82m+L._AC_.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 81UWdREUqEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81UWdREUqEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 6
  • FlushTite_CLR_86150 (1).jpg
    FlushTite_CLR_86150 (1).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5
The purple stuff is just a stain from the primer for the pvc glue.

It looks like your bolts should come out, there seems to be either dirty old wax on there, or maybe some excess tile adhesive or grout.

Just scrape off the junk as frodo advised.
Then the bolts can slide along that curved notch until they reach the larger opening.

I guess I should have clarified that this was from the one I already replaced the ring. Bolts were in firmly, so I didn't try to remove them.

On the other one, one of the bolts is broken, and was hoping it wasn't one of the ones where the bolts CAN slide out.... but just wondering "What do I do if they put the bolts in the solid hole when installing and they can't be removed"?

If your flange is the first one, the bolts should be able to go out to the side. Might need to tap it with a wrench or hammer to see if it will budge in that direction. Might need to loosen or remove the nuts first though.
You should try a little excavation around the outer sides first though & see if it is solid flange or if it has an opening like in the picture of the first flange. All the crud could be helping to hold the bolts in place. If the bolt turns when you try to loosen the nut, get some plyers or a wrench to hold it still.

If it is a solid hole, you may need a metal cutting blade on something like a Dremel tool and carefully go underneath the edge of the flange to cut from underneath-- you will obviously need to clear all of the crud out of the way first though. My guess is that it is probably in an open hole-- at least I hope. But you won't know until you excavate.

Was the picture changed or something. I don't get it. The responses make it sound like the bolts are in slotted holes when obviously they are not.
Please clarify for this old man.

Was the picture changed or something. I don't get it. The responses make it sound like the bolts are in slotted holes when obviously they are not.
Please clarify for this old man.
Yes, they are just assuming they are in slotted holes when there is no way to actually confirm at this point.

This post is getting pretty confusing.

It is hard to give good advice if the poster does not give good information.

This is grumpy, but very true.

Post a clear pic of the flange you are actually needing help with.
This will help us help you quicker and better.

The question is simple.....and all the information is there.

"Assuming the bolt can't be removed from a solid hole, what are the best options?"

This was asked in the first post.

It's that simple.

The bolt has a nut on it and a washer. You can see it here in the picture

If you can not figure out how to remove the nut then call a local plumber
View attachment 24030

I like the rationale there.... if this is the same for the one I am planning to work on.... they wouldn't have used a bolt and washer if they would have put the bolt through a closed hole (becuase there would be no benefit...it would automatically be held in place and wouldn't be going anywhere). So based on the bolt and washer... it is 99% likely to be an open ended hole. Thanks!

The bolt is clearly not in a slotted hole and assuming there's a head on that bolt, on the underside of the flange, I get the problem. That's not really a nut on the top side is it? Looks like a washer maybe to me.
Can't you(soonerbrink) confirm that?

Some chucklehead might have stuck the bolts up through solid holes, before the flange was glued on.
Instead of mounting the flange to line up with the slots in the right place.

Basically saying, “F the next guy who has to work on this”.

A picture of the actual flange you need advice on would be helpful at this point.

There are two bathrooms in my house.

The picture I have included in the original post is the bathroom I have already worked on.

The toilet was leaking and I replaced the wax ring and the leak appears to have stopped.

Now... on to the next bathroom......

The toilet in the next bathroom has one of the bolts corroded (toilet wobbles and the bolt is separated when I remove the cap over the bolt).

Now back to my original question...

This brings me back to my original post of why I am trying to get a solution if the bolt was actually installed through a solid hole before the flange was glued on. Because it's a lot easier to take my time and await helpful responses on here while the toilet is working... instead of when it is completely taken apart.

Now the question that probably arises after reading this post (Why didn't you try and remove the bolts on the first toilet to see how they were installed?) The bolts were solid on that toilet and I didn't want to risk messing them up considering I knew one of the bolts was already broken on the other toilet.

Based on the responses it appears someone is very confident it's a slotted hole, and someone is very confident its not a slotted hole.

I'll look at my phone and see if I have more pictures.

It appears there is actually a nut on the bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_9075.PNG
    IMG_9075.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9076.PNG
    IMG_9076.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
What i would do is remove those bolts and then cut slots into the solid hole so you can slide new closet bolts in, since it seems to align with the mounting holes on the toilet. So instead of a hole you would have a U shape in the flange to slide in closet bolt. You may want to slide a repair/spanner flange under there also after you notch the flange.

√√√√√√√√
Exactly.
Current setup not written in stone.

Back