Closed off stack pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it appears that they have a set-up that is primarily for a washing machine.
I am assuming the drain from that laundry sink connects to that sump pump enclosure in the black container. And the discharge from that sump is connected to the larger gravity drain line shown in the second picture. Also in that 2nd picture, they apparently disconnected that now capped line dropping from above.
Unless you know where that capped line continues up to, we don't know if that was a drain line or an auxiliary/relief vent from that large horizontal main line.

That would make that vertical pipe coming from the sump container the vent for that sump.

The device fitted to the top of of that line is called an Air Admittance Valve(AAV). An AAV typically is allowed to be used in place of an actual vent line that ends up going thru the roof. But not usually allowed to be used on a sump pit. (Sump pits are usually assumed to be handling sewage.
Even though that sump is not handling septage it's connected directly to a sanitary drain line. Although there is a check valve on that discharge line that should prevent gases from coming back into the sump that may not be enough for some Plumbing inspectors to treat that sump any different than a sanitary sump.

The applicable code for PA says that an AAV is not allowed to vent sumps or tanks except where the vent system was designed by an engineer.

Summary: With the exception of not knowing what that capped line is/was, I'd say the system for the laundry sink should function okay. Is it legit? Some would say no. I would say it's the plumbing Inspectors call since the codes do not address this specific set-up.

@Diehard - thanks for the reply. My main concern was the "capped-off" stack vent line and how that would affect the 1st & 2nd floor drainage? However, I wasn't giving much thought to the absences of a "true" trap for the sewage pump. Is the check valve a valid (legit) solution for that?

And while we are at it, give me your professional opinion on how the supply lines were installed - see below

As I had already mentioned, "Also in that 2nd picture, they apparently disconnected that now capped line dropping from above.
Unless you know where that capped line continues up to, we don't know if that was a drain line or an auxiliary/relief vent from that large horizontal main line."

You're calling it a, "stack vent line". Do you realy know what its function was? I don't.

Well I am not a professional plumber. You might say I dabbled in municipal and industrial plumbing design and engineering, for a number of years.
As far as, how the supply lines were installed. Looks like sh*t. Don't know why they bothered using a box with drain connection and not use it. But I suppose it serves the purpose of mounting of the wash valves.

Latest posts

Back