Cleanouts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
How can I locate the sewer cleanout that should be somewhere in my front yard? Also, why is there a cleanout on the outside wall of my kitchen for the drain that comes from the kitchen sink? We cleaned that cleanout once some time ago but now we are unable to remove the big cap from the cleanout. It's in there too tight. We are unable to turn it with any sort of wrench. Thanks.

They probably put it on the outside so they wouldn't have to come into the house to clean it, it can get messy cleaning drains.

How deep is your sewer?

The city will come locate their portion of the sewer (the lateral in the street) that should give you an idea where it ends. You just need to know where it comes out of your house and assume it's close to a straight line between those two points. Maybe there's a slight indentation in the grass?

What material is it, most times if you cut the brass or plastic nut off you then make pie shaped cuts into the cleanout the wiggle them out with pliers most times after that it will thread out after that

I had to clear a main drain and there was a cleanout buried in the mulch, we called the city they came out gave us a couple of measurements off the house, we found it,I had the owner put an irrigation valve box cover over it so now it's never buried

They probably put it on the outside so they wouldn't have to come into the house to clean it, it can get messy cleaning drains.

How deep is your sewer?

The city will come locate their portion of the sewer (the lateral in the street) that should give you an idea where it ends. You just need to know where it comes out of your house and assume it's close to a straight line between those two points. Maybe there's a slight indentation in the grass?
I'm sorry but I don't know how deep my sewer is. A while back, I called the city and asked how to locate my sewer cleanout. The guy said to me, "Huh? Call 8-1-1." So, I contacted 8-1-1 via email. Never heard a word from 8-1-1. Our home was built in 1965. I'm not aware of any slight indentation in our yard. I can contact the city again.

What material is it, most times if you cut the brass or plastic nut off you then make pie shaped cuts into the cleanout the wiggle them out with pliers most times after that it will thread out after that

It's plastic. My brother was able to remove it once but not this time. He tried but could not remove it.

I had to clear a main drain and there was a cleanout buried in the mulch, we called the city they came out gave us a couple of measurements off the house, we found it,I had the owner put an irrigation valve box cover over it so now it's never buried
I will contact the city again. Someone there should be able to help me find the cleanout.

I'm sorry but I don't know how deep my sewer is. A while back, I called the city and asked how to locate my sewer cleanout. The guy said to me, "Huh? Call 8-1-1." So, I contacted 8-1-1 via email. Never heard a word from 8-1-1. Our home was built in 1965. I'm not aware of any slight indentation in our yard. I can contact the city again.
Call instead of emailing

8-1-1 services ("Call before you dig") got backed up last year. SHEPLMBR is right - call, don't email. If they expect you to be digging to locate the pipe, they should come out. But it sounds odd to me that the clean-out cover could have become so buried in soil and grass that you wouldn't notice where it would be. Perhaps the clean-out at your kitchen sink is within the 100' requirement and there is not another.

Thank you all for your input.

My city councilperson lives right up the street from me. I reached out to her regarding this matter. I'm sure she will get back to me.

At a minimum, the city should be able to tell me where the sewer line enters my property from the street.

We moved into this home a long time ago and I don't ever recall seeing a cleanout in the yard. It seems odd to me that the one for the kitchen drain would be the only one but stranger things have happened around here.

Guarantee I could get that cap /plug removed from your cleanout. And find your cleanout on the yard. I'm the underground plumbing whisperer.

Just the way I remove clean out caps. Pipe wrench and a sledge hammer. With plastic, usually a few taps will get it ti budge but you can't just whale on it.

If ya can get that and snake the line from there. You can often hear a snake and trace the line that way. After locating the outside clean out, I would mark the spot or draw a triangulated map and put it near the inside clean out for future reference.

Could also contact a professional drain cleaner who offers locator service. That would be easiest alternative.

Is it recommended to have a snake camera inspection of a house's sewer cleanout port every two years? Before I purchased my house, I should have undertaken this inspection, but no real estate agent ever recommended it. Our house is surrounded by aggressive palm trees.

Back