Cleanly remove hose ring

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcyes

Reaction score
What kind of tool can be used to Un-clamp these crimp rings Without cutting the hose / fittings?
Tried using Dremel on previous job but my hands were not steady enough and accidently damaged the hose.

Attachments

• IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 23
the pex is very short. might not have enough left for a new fitting to put on after cut. also would like to replace this very old short section of pex.
Cutting it there might damage the shut off valve? as they are too close

the pex is very short. might not have enough left for a new fitting to put on after cut. also would like to replace this very old short section of pex.
Cutting it there might damage the shut off valve? as they are too close
Use shark bite fittings to replace and a new piece of pipe.

Fire up the heat gun or torch and rip that pex out of there and the rings will fall off. Then just put a new piece of pex on and crimp it.

great idea. that should work. Thanks guys!

That looks to me to be Polybutylene, not Pex. Double check with the rest of your piping before you destroy it, you may need more fittings

That looks to me to be Polybutylene, not Pex. Double check with the rest of your piping before you destroy it, you may need more fittings
They make sharkbites to go from Polybutylene to CTS

ok checked. pipe is CTS. Will CTS pipe become soft like pex when heat up, so that can be removed without cutting the crimp ring that most likely damage the shut off valve?

would assume the valve is crimp type similar as below. is it true the only way for new connection is to crimp PEX to this valve? any suggestions?
p_1000791002.jpg

As I suspected.

Polybutylene and pex are not interchangeable. You will not find polybutylene tubing to replace it, you will have to transition from polybutylene to pex via a transition coupling.

Post a much wider view of that whole area.

Maybe you can do a much wider repair, and attach onto better locations, not just work in that small section.

Don’t cheap out or be afraid of replacing a few fittings or valves, it beats dealing with a massive flood.

Quest pipe? It is not CTS, as SharkBite and others that make push fittings have special couplings for PB to CTS.
here is the marking on the pipe
2.jpg
says PB CTS
what is PB to CTS coupler?

Post a much wider view of that whole area.

Maybe you can do a much wider repair, and attach onto better locations, not just work in that small section.

Don’t cheap out or be afraid of replacing a few fittings or valves, it beats dealing with a massive flood.

1.jpg
Try to avoid changing anything when there has been no problem.
not sure if I can attach new PEX to this valve, crimp?
removing the existing crimp ring still in question

Can you use a small fine blade hack saw? If you do it slow and try prying it apart where you are cutting it at with a
fine blade screw driver.

Polybutylene is an obsolete animal that was used mostly in mobile homes ....... I live with the stuff and have a bag full of the Sharkbite conversion fittings to cope with any leak that should develop along with a variety of 1/2 & 3/4 pex. They have internal and external as shown on their webpage. They are very common in the stores today because other than replacing an entire system ... they are the best solution.
https://www.sharkbite.com/search?term=polybutylene
And just to mention ... I will never use a gate valve as shown in your picture .... I always prefer a ball valve. The washer in the gate valve will always leak .... eventually.

Attachments

• ball valve.jpg
    ball valve.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back