Cleaning Shower Floors

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha Mark

Reaction score
A youtuber recommends two possible solutions: 1. hot water + baking soda and 2. hot vinegar + Dawn dishwasher liquid. Do these methods work? I do not like the idea of carrying anything hot from the kitchen to the bathroom.

Things we have tried before: Simple Green, baking soda, Lysol bowl cleaner (yeah), bleach, Tilex, Clorox spray, Dow foaming bubbles, Fantastik, etc.

In general, are these floors meant to be recoated every 10 years or so, using products like Armoglaze:

I use aquagloss. My shower has never been dirty so it’s easy to clean.

Simple green works pretty good I hear.

Dogs could scratch some fiberglass tubs or shower bases. That’s when they become hard to clean, the scratches hold dirt. Scratches from any cause.....not just dogs 😀

Toothpaste and elbow grease would be a way to prep the surface before re-coating. Bleach may cause the shower floor to turn yellow.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend to clean plastic/fiberglass shower, tubs, including floors. The soap/oil scum comes off with minimal effort.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend to clean plastic/fiberglass shower, tubs, including floors. The soap/oil scum comes off with minimal effort.
Isn’t bar keepers friend a powder and abrasive ? If so I wouldn’t use it on fiberglass

Isn’t bar keepers friend a powder and abrasive ? If so I wouldn’t use it on fiberglass
Good point, I checked the material of my showers, one bathtub is acrylic and the other shower is a fiberglass/polyresin blend. BKF cleans well, esp on the acrylic which needs cleaning every week due to buildup and even the shower floor which is highly textured (similar to the video) and no other way easy to get between the grooves. The third shower is still original to the home so I have no idea what material but it's for guests so rarely used/cleaned anyway.

I was advised not to use BKF on solid surface countertops (e.g. Corian) due to abrasiveness but okay to use in the integrated sinks which also works easily to keep them clean.

Latest posts

Back