Cleaning drains with bleach

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yazfan

Reaction score
I realize this is my third question today, but thought it better to separate them. Furthermore, I searched this forum for answers first before asking, but didn't find specifics.

People seem to be split whether to use bleach to clean, disinfect, etc. in a drain.

We think the recent cluster of flies that hang out by a large kitchen window are coming from the kitchen drain. Unfortunately, they look like regular house flies (although they move a little slower), not pictures of Drain flies I've seen. When I plug the drain, there are very little to no flies.

Q: is it okay to pour 1 cup of bleach followed by hot water (or a water/bleach ratio) in the drain?
* we have a garbage disposal
* we do not use any ammonia products near the drain
* no septic tank

Will this harm the disposal? If it's okay to use, do I let it sit for sometime? I tried the vinegar/baking soda method a few times, but not sure if it's effective.

Last edited:
Before you go dumping bleach down the garbage disposal try try lemon peels and a bunch of ice

Thanks, I regularly use citrus peels, ice (and vinegar/baking soda.)

Are you recommending this because of any ill-effects of bleach on the environment, because it will due harm to the disposal unit, or other?

You can use baking soda and vinegar along with boiling water. I got this tip from http://www.hyperlink advertising prohibited. It has many other tips too. I've tried some and the results were good. Hope you find it useful.

As a plumber and not a DIYer I have to advise that pouring boiling water down the drain of a residential sink is not advisable. Hot water is one thing, but boiling water can cause problems.

Javelin makes a great foam cleaner for sinks and disposals. I've used it on many occasions with good results.

DO NOT put boiling water down your drains, it will create weak points and split over time.

Thin plastic pipes plus boiling water. Take a guess what happens to the pipes. If you have chrome plated brass maybe but I would not advise it. Typically when we install waste for a sink or fixture that has water over 140° going down the drain we install at least 10' from the drain in cast iron so the water doesn't melt the pvc or cause the joints to soften. Boiling water is a lot hotter than 140°.

Thin plastic pipes plus boiling water. Take a guess what happens to the pipes. If you have chrome plated brass maybe but I would not advise it.

Typically when we install waste for a sink or fixture that has water over 140° going down the drain we install at least 10' from the drain in cast iron so the water doesn't melt the pvc or cause the joints to soften. Boiling water is a lot hotter than 140°.

...hmm...

Never thought of that. 140 degree DW drainage and PP. Wonder what the temp rating is?

For a standard dishwasher I will have to check. It runs off of domestic water which is normally expected to be no more that 120° and can be boosted with the heating element. I will look into the domestic dishwasher rating. Commercial typically is rated for 140° and above. It's for sanitation. Forgive me but refresh me on what PP is referencing.

Latest posts

Back