Clay in Sewer Line Causing Backup - Conflicting Evidence btw Plumbers/City

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the pipe is now cleared of water, since the clog has been cleared.
So the OP probably does not need to evacuate any trapped water anymore.

Yes, my Gorilla Tape idea was lame, I just was spitballing, as they say.

But for someone who has this flooded pipe issue in the future:
Maybe a barbed coupling would be more secure, with two hose clamps on each end.
Gorilla Tape or something similar could still be wrapped around the clamps, to make the clamped connections less likely to catch and grab on bumps, lumps, or pipe joints.

Regardless, just because the pipe is clear now, does not mean it will stay that way. While it is still in working condition, with no soup to kill the inspection, get that cam down there and see what's left at that spot.

If you ever do need to drain out the pipe contents, get a trash pump. It is also good for an emergency quick fix - one the line is at least partially drained by the pump, you can use regular drains for a few minutes of washing dishes or showering until it fills up again.

Our city had now started requiring a cleanout at the junction of the city snd the property owners sewer.

So if a property owner has a stoppage we open that cleanout. If water is standing it’s the city’s problem. If no water is standing it’s the property owners.

Saves a lot of finger pointing and customer expense. Its the city A LOT of the time.

Yes, do camera inspection now, while the sewer is draining properly.
You could run a few bathtubs full of water down there first, to help rinse it out.
Otherwise, a pile of poop or TP might be sitting on a defect, and hiding it from the camera.
Camera video will also show a running foot count, so any defects on the city side will be documented.
Which could save you five or ten thousand bucks.
I think you mentioned female tenants?
Make sure to advise them never to flush tampons, pads, or wipes, only human waste and toilet paper.

Does you sewer line empty into a manhole, or is it a tap into the side of the cities line? You might be able to go from the cities end, and water jet in and see if the blockage clears.

Option 2, would be too have the city run their camera snake out to the blockage, and see if you can radio locate that location form above, and dig it up. Some of he camera snakes have a radio transmitter on the end, and can be located with a device from the surface, to allow you to locate a spot directly above the plug, and then excavate down to it.

Back