City water bypass for well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I should install a well and then learn how to repair and maintain it.

I should stock spare parts for the well.

I should buy a generator

I should install large propane tanks to run the generator. Have propane delivered…..it’s real cheap.

I should learn how to work on the generator and keep spare parts.

When all else fails He should have a hand pump to pump his water out of the ground.

OR

Just get on city water for his house.

Keep the wells for outside use when they work……

You should if you want to make sure your family has water no matter what. All of that will still be less expensive than city water when the pump system last 20-30 years. If irrigation is needed a well system can pay for itself in less than a year.

There are a lot of people who would prefer apartment life where if anything happens, even a bad light switch or a stain in the carpet, you just call someone to fix it. When the power goes off and the water stops coming out the faucets all they can do is get on social media and beg for help. If things keep on the same track there will be lots more begging. I for one refuse to be a victim, and I for sure will never be begging for water.

You should if you want to make sure your family has water no matter what. All of that will still be less expensive than city water when the pump system last 20-30 years. If irrigation is needed a well system can pay for itself in less than a year.

There are a lot of people who would prefer apartment life where if anything happens, even a bad light switch or a stain in the carpet, you just call someone to fix it. When the power goes off and the water stops coming out the faucets all they can do is get on social media and beg for help. If things keep on the same track there will be lots more begging. I for one refuse to be a victim, and I for sure will never be begging for water.
Most pump systems do not last 20-30 years without plenty of maintenance and up keep.

The only people I’ve seen begging for water is people with broken well pumps. That’s the reality of it.

Well runs dry
Footvalve malfunctions
Pump and motor burn outs
Drop pipe breaks
Wiring problems/bad breaker
No power
Lightning strikes
Pressure switch failure
Bladder tank failure

What did I miss, you’re the expert ?

Personally I’d never make a place my permanent residence if I could only have well water.

Just like I’d never make a place my permanent residence that didn’t have utility supplied power.

I’m not ignorant enough to think I’m super duper homesteader at 50+ years old with a wife and a couple 6yr old kids. I need water all the time, not most of the time.

I could see my 80+ yr old father with two replaced shoulders working on a well pump and my 80 yr old mother holding the flashlight for him at midnight. It’s kinda ridiculous actually. They have a well for irrigation, I’ve replaced parts innthe control box twice and they’ve replaced the pump once in 25 yrs. Took the guy all day and a week to get there.

City water ? It’s always worked.

Last edited:
All the problems you listed about pumps except no power and lightning strikes are caused by cycling. Simply eliminating the cycling solves all those problems. Lightning strikes to pumps are rare, and no power is a problem of counting on someone else to supply it to you. Take power when you can get it and have a generator ready when THEY are not sending power to your house.

I taught my kids how to fix things so hopefully they will help out when I am unable to do for myself. If not I will wheel myself out there and fix it because no one else will know how or even show up.

But you didn’t ask the Alabama Plumbers board and gas fitters board officials who are in charge of enforcing the law.

I even posted the info on how to contact them. 🤣✌️

There’s no legit need to connect the two sources.
When I researched the plumbers board and pipe fitters board it seemed to only set standards and tests for plumbers and pipefiters to be certified. Maybe I didn't research enough. The ADEM which sets the stds for water quality didn't direct me to the plumbers board and gave me direction on how to proceed. The local water authority also gave me direction on how to proceed.

I do appreciate you help and information and I am sorry if I am irking you by continuing in trying to accomplish connecting city/county water to my water line connecting my well pump to my house. There is a backflow prevention device on the water meter. When i finally get started on this project I may install a second backflow prevention device between the connection and the meter just to be safe. If I can figure it out I may install an air gap device also.

The whole point is to not have to run 300 feet of separate water line from the meter to the house and then also have to have a manual air gap or some other connect/disconnect device at the house. If the pump is not working due to failure or power outage i will turn off the pump circuit breaker and open the meter valve. With the backflow devices in place and no pump pressure i do not see how any cross contamination can take place.

I may choose to use city/county water and turn off the pump and only use well water in some other kind of emergency or when refilling my pool or watering the garden, orchard or yard.

I have a generator for power if necessary. I already know how to repair the generator.

My well pump in underground. There is no maintenance. My only problem with the pump is replacing it. That's why i want to hook up to the water meter. I want to be able to use either metered water or well water. Not at the same time. And with proper connections so there is no cross contamination.

Last edited:
I posted the Contact info clear as day. I explained the state has control when the county doesn’t have inspections. It’s not the wild Wild West.

It doesn’t irk me but it does amaze me that a person would take the time to ask a question and then when provided with the proper info they shop around for the answer they want to hear from every other organization except the one that has direct responsibility for handing this exact situation of connecting public and private water.

I’m simply advising you of the law. I can prove it’s the law. I don’t care what the other organization say to you on the phone. I assure you that you’ll never get permission in writing if requested from those who say it’s legal.

Notice I didn’t stutter or beat around the bush with a response.

Have a great day.

Last edited:
From Section 34-37-15 of the Alabama code Title 34 chapter 17 that regulates the plumbers and gas fitters. From the link on the PCFG website to the stat law
(b) This chapter does not apply to any plumbing work performed by a property owner in or about a building owned or occupied by him or her, or plumbing work performed by anyone who is regularly employed by the property owner to provide maintenance or other repair services if the work is incidental to and in connection with the property for which he or she is employed and engaged and is done on the premises of the employer.

This is the law that applies.

From Section 34-37-15 of the Alabama code Title 34 chapter 17 that regulates the plumbers and gas fitters. From the link on the PCFG website to the stat law
(b) This chapter does not apply to any plumbing work performed by a property owner in or about a building owned or occupied by him or her, or plumbing work performed by anyone who is regularly employed by the property owner to provide maintenance or other repair services if the work is incidental to and in connection with the property for which he or she is employed and engaged and is done on the premises of the employer.

This is the law that applies.
So you think you can do anything you want because you’re the property owner.

Ok 🤡

That code is talking about the property owner is not required to have a plumbing license but are required to have a plumbing permit to do plumbing work on their property.

Not that you don’t have to follow the state plumbing code. 🤣

Last edited:
See code 608.7.1 There is no exception even with protection. SHALL BE PROHIBITED Searchable platform for building codes
2739A75F-53E7-4299-9B39-74C7CDEB3594.jpeg34E6CF26-A02F-4F58-B22B-3472DECABB40.jpeg
Circled in red tells you that your lack of county oversight is inherited by the state and they are the authority having jurisdiction.

OK folks. I had to remove some posts because the conversation started going downhill.

We need people to come in here to ask questions, and we need experts to help direct them the correct way. I am involved with a few survival and prepper forums who would love to have this information "just in case". Please lets not bash, since we all know that WATER IS LIFE!

Back