Cisterns and pumps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyHome

Reaction score
This part of the forum was as close as I could get. .... Those who have to drill 1000 feet or more to get water will usually resort to a cistern. I'm just puzzled about what kind of pump to use and how to hook (placement) it up so it meets code. Note: Many areas in the Rocky mountains allow cisterns. Thanks

Alan

The well pump depends on how deep it is to water. The size of the booster pump in the cistern depends on how large a house and how much water you need. Give me a well depth and static water level, and recovery rate of the well if you know it and we can size the well pump. Add up total demand in the house plus any irrigation requirements and I can help size the booster pump.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

You can take an eraser to the well pump part of the drawing. The rest looks not too bad. I've got a pic of what I have in this mfg home I want to sell with the land.
The weakest part of this setup is the cheap asian pump which lasts about 3 years. This is what happens if you're low on bucks. It's not fun and it doesn't meet code.

Closet.png

Last edited:
That kind of pump is made for an RV. So I am surprised you get 3 years with normal house use. If you are using wrenches to try to take the filter apart, you are probably egging the female fitting. You will need something like a strap wrench or chain tong that puts pressure all the way around and doesn't egg the fittings together.

You said "I am surprised you get 3 years with normal house use".
So am I, however I would call it light use for a small rural house (older mobile home) with a 12 gallon hot water tank. The wife and I don't flush the toilet every time. The pump did develop a leak at the bottom of the faceplate. I took it apart and used silicone sealant. Reassembled it with as much oomph as I could get on the screws. Now it works again .... How long? God only knows. It's crude but better than being homeless. BTW the black hose on the left is for gravity feed water if the pump dies. The cistern is up the hill a bit. Last: We never drink the water. We buy jugs of water for that.

Last edited:
Back