chronic toilet plugging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tapeanddope

Reaction score
My toilet has a problem with flushing. It flushes right half the time. The other half it either plugs or almost plugs. When it looks like it will plug I just hold the handle down until it either plugs or it flushes all of a sudden. It very seldom runs over where You have to shut the water off. So I don't know if I have a toilet problem or plumbing problem or what. Any suggestions? I think it's an American Standard.

You can tell the brand most times by looking behind the toilet seat, American standard toilets can be finicky, make sure your parts are correct there are numbers printed inside the tank that will give you exact replacement parts

I had problem with older toilets we had until about 8 years again. We got a 1.28 gallons flush 1 piece Kohler and loved it, one plug in all that time and we loved it so much we replace the other 2 back then. The good thing about many newer low flush toilets is they had to be better at flushing at flushing.

You may have something lodged in the trap like an object. They will flush good with just water but usually with paper
they will clog up. Pull the toilet and look inside the bottom hole for any foreign objects. Also check to make sure your
tank is fully up to the level line.

Check the fill valve tubing to make sure it's connected to run into the flush valve overflow which refills the bowl after a flush. Otherwise, it won't flush properly or take 2 flushes as you've gotta first refill the bowl.

Latest posts

Back