checking strainer on Watts pressure reducing valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oggy55

Reaction score
I need to inspect the strainer on my 1/2" Watts pressure reducing valve, model LF25AUB-Z3, to troubleshoot low water pressure.
The valve has a rubber gasket, but a kit with all the gaskets costs $100, which is too expensive for just one gasket. I visited a plumbing supply store, but they didn't have a replacement gasket. Currently, when there is no water flow, the pressure can reach up to 80 psi, but water flow is very poor, making it impossible to use a garden hose nozzle. I suspect that something is obstructing the flow, possibly the strainer or some debris in the seat where the valve closes off the flow.

If you can’t locate the gasket then you’ll need to buy the kit or replace the entire valve.

I recommend replacing the entire valve.

So, based on my what I said, you think the valve is the problem?
Could be. You could remove it to confirm.

What does this piping serve ? 1/2” would be undersized for a home but if it worked at one time, the piping size isn’t the problem.

What type pipe ? Steel pipe will rust and close the flow off.

If the pressure increases, then the valve isn't working properly even if you clear any obstruction that is restricting flow. And yes, there could be debris in the valve that keeps the valve from controlling pressure. But the repair kits don't always fix the valve. I'd replace it. Amazon 1/2" valve $173.39, but their 3/4" valve is only $142.57 with different connections.

1685194856532.png

1685195079015.png

I don’t know these valves, but can you reuse the existing gasket? Maybe with a little silicone grease?

Back