Changing pipe sizes effect

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie

Reaction score
I have a 3/4” copper line that runs about 20 feet starting from the meter. Then it gets reduced to 1/2” for another 20 feet. At this point the plumber installed a T and a shut off for a future water line to the backyard. Well it is time for that faucet but all I have is a 20 foot piece of 3/4” pipe and a freeze protected outside faucet that is also 3/4”. The distance from the faucet to the shut off is 15 feet.

What effect does going from 3/4” to 1/2” and back to 3/4” have on pressure and volume? Should I change the pipe from the reducer and go 3/4” all the way to the T and reduce after the T to pick up the 1/2” line to the kitchen and have the line from the meter to the outside faucet 3/4” all the way.

Just an FYI The 1/2” goes to a kitchen that does not have a basement or crawl space under it. once the 1/2” gets to the end of the current basement it goes up the wall and into the kitchen wall where it routes through the walls to the sink and dishwasher so I will have to keep the 1/2” at some point in the basement because I am not going to open up the kitchen walls to do a total replacement to 3/4”.

So looking to find out what happens with pressure and what happens with volume. I have 75lbs at the meter comming into the house.

Thanks for the help!!

I have had the 3/4 faucet and the pipe for the past 7 years. I will never use it so why spend money on new pipe just store the 3/4 stuff for another 7 years and take up space. I guess if spending money is no issue I could just have the entire house replumbed to 1” and have you pay for it.

Back