changing cast iron to PVC

Discussion in 'Project Display' started by bartleyhs, Jan 18, 2020.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jan 18, 2020 #1

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

Hello all,
    I have torn out the CI waste pipes and replaced with PVC. I basically copied the layout from the cast iron, but it occurred to me codes may have changed or I may have used the wrong fittings, so I figured it would be a good idea to get some feedback before calling it done. The layout is odd because the waste pipe going to the septic is on one side of the room and the vent stack is on the other side of the room. So under the toilet we have:
    a 3” combo wye going across to the vent stack
    under that is a 3” / 2” double san-T for the 2 branches
    at the bottom is the closet bend out to the septic tank
    I will attach a couple of pics, I hope it all makes sense.
    I am particularly concerned about the double San-T I used under the toilet. I read something that made me think I should have used a double fixture T instead, and also, is it okay for it to be directly under the toilet?

Thanks
    Martha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Jan 29, 2020 #2

Rob Tectian

Rob Tectian

Rob Tectian

Surprised that one of the PRO's hasn't answered yet. Just my $0.02, I would change out the santee to a fixture santee. It will help if you ever need to run a snake to clear the blockage all the way down. It will help in keeping the snake going straight through to the other connection some what. Big question is does each fixture including the toilet have a vent?

3. Jan 29, 2020 #3

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

I appreciate your reply. I am running out of time to make the change. It would be a lot of work to change it, so I really would only do it if the sanitary tee is against code. I would love it if one of the professionals would be able to tell me that.
    If its just a matter of making snaking easier I am not too concerned by that because there is a cleanout just after the closet bend (not seen in photo).
    Yes each fixture is vented so I am good there, just don't want the inspector to come in and fail me for using the wrong tee.

4. Jan 29, 2020 #4

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber

Try posting on the Terry Love plumbing forum, lots of pros are on there.

5. Jan 29, 2020 #5

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

right here right now, over there later on.
    mess.jpeg ERRRRR ugly ugly ugly

cut all that junk out, drag it out to the street and let the garbage man take it away

remove the closet View attachment 23167 fuc up.jpg bend

6. Jan 31, 2020 #6

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

bartleyhs

Thanks Frodo. Not what I wanted to hear, but my gut told me it wasn't right. You saved me a lot of embarrassment by not having the inspector see this mess. I will be starting over. I have spent the past 2 days reading the code and previous threads here and on other forums and I now recognize a TON of things wrong with this.
    I think I finally have my head wrapped around it and this time I will do a mock up and get advice before I install it.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020

Draft saved Draft deleted