CH drain valve won't shut

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phloaw

Reaction score
Today I drained my CH/HW. This is a standard vented, pumped S plan with two electric valves, and I'm in UK.
I was lucky enough to have a drain valve underneath ground floor, relatively accessible, see pics:

IMG-20200518-172458.jpg

IMG-20200518-172505.jpg

However, upon refilling the system, I found out that that valve will rotate endlessly, and won't guarantee proper isolation: it's stripped.

I was thinking to add an isolating (aka service) valve past the old one, i.e., along the pipe in the bottom part of the images.
Something like this:
36879.jpg

Do you think that will work? Or is there a risk that the old valve will leak when the new one is shut? Do you foresee any other possible problem?

Any feedback welcome!

Thanks!

We don't have completely similar systems here in the U.S. but you need not worry about that existing valve spinnning. It will, in the 90 degree cross way position, shut off.
I don't even know what you are talking about: "CH/HW. This is a standard vented, pumped S plan " ?

We don't have completely similar systems here in the U.S. but you need not worry about that existing valve spinnning. It will, in the 90 degree cross way position, shut off.
I don't even know what you are talking about: "CH/HW. This is a standard vented, pumped S plan " ?
Thanks!
I guess the terminology is British: CH is central heating, HW hot water. In the classical UK system, you have them fed together by piping fed and venting into a loft cistern.

Oh yes. I've only seen one such reservoir tank in an attic from a very old system.
Here we call it a hydronic heating system.
I don't know what that specific valve does, but piece of info: The picture you showed has a choked flow. Ideally, you might want a "full port" valve.

Oh yes. I've only seen one such reservoir tank in an attic from a very old system.
Here we call it a hydronic heating system.
I don't know what that specific valve does, but piece of info: The picture you showed has a choked flow. Ideally, you might want a "full port" valve.

Ah, yes, I know. I thought that for a drain valve full flow is not so important. Am I wrong?

No, you aren't wrong.
As long as there is suffecient difference in elevation and the valve is on the lowest portion, it shouldn't be an issue.

No, you aren't wrong.
As long as there is suffecient difference in elevation and the valve is on the lowest portion, it shouldn't be an issue.

I finished, hoping I did a decent job. Thanks for your help!

Back