Centripro BF20 / Variable Speed pump issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrod

Reaction score
Good evening - I have a Centripro BF20 controller and it's started acting up with intermittent problems. Mostly it doesn't seem to ramp the pump up when a large amount of water is used. It's fine with showers, faucets, etc - but when the Geothermal unit runs - we'll often wake up to no water and have to reset it.

I replaced the transducer. Is it possible the BF20 has a capacitor or other common component on the board that can be replaced?

OPTIONS on replacement? I could just go back with a non-variable system.

thanks!

Good evening - I have a Centripro BF20 controller and it's started acting up with intermittent problems. Mostly it doesn't seem to ramp the pump up when a large amount of water is used. It's fine with showers, faucets, etc - but when the Geothermal unit runs - we'll often wake up to no water and have to reset it.

I replaced the transducer. Is it possible the BF20 has a capacitor or other common component on the board that can be replaced?

OPTIONS on replacement? I could just go back with a non-variable system.

thanks!
Sorry I missed this. You are describing the typical failure mode for most VFD systems. Just like any computer there are so many components something will go wrong, it is just a matter of how soon. It is all part of manufacturers planned obsolescence. Unfortunately, with a Balance Flow you have a 3 phase motor. The balance flow or VFD converts normal single phase house current into 3 phase to run a 3 phase motor. What that does is lock you into replacing the VFD controller, until you finally decide it is worth it to pull the pump and change to a normal single phase motor.

Once you get a normal single phase motor, it can be controlled and will deliver strong constant pressure to the house by using a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV also allows for the use of a very small pressure tank, so no change there. The big difference is the CSV was designed to make pump systems last longer and defeats the manufacturers plan of frequent replacements, while the VFD was designed to seperate you from as much of your money as possible for a water system.

Hey there - thanks so much for your answer. Yeah I've been going around and around on this. That helps a ton - so swap out to a normal well pump, keep smaller pressure tank, use CSV valve? Anything else in this setup? (pressure switch, etc?). Well's not very deep so I don't mind swapping it - already changed the check valve in it a couple years ago.

Right on - so just:
  • ditch the Centripro and pump altogether (RIP)
  • replace with typical well pump & pressure switch
  • leave existing pressure tank (in decent shape)
  • add VFD Kit
  • Which kit?

Latest posts

Back