Caulk turning green

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeychris

Reaction score
I recently replaced the wax ring under a toilet with a non-wax neoprene ring. I did NOT seal the toilet base to the ceramic tile floor for a couple days to make sure no water was leaking. No water was observed. So I caulked around the base of the toilet with DAP KWIK SEAL PLUS clear sealant. Immediately after caulking, the caulk was white and a visible bead ran around the base of the toilet. About 24 hours later I notice the caulk is turning green and has receded under the edge of the toilet (the toilet base has a slightly curved edge, so there is room for a bead of sealant).

The previous wax ring had leaked a small amount of water, but I sponged it up and had a fan blowing on it for a while to dry it. It seemed dry when I put the toilet back in. Since I did NOT caulk for over 24 hours after installation, and there was no trace of water leaking, I am confused as to why this sealant is turning color. Remember, it is supposed to dry clear. If there was some residual moisture under the toilet, would it cause this? I really don't want to pull the toilet again, so I was hoping someone here could offer some suggestion as to what is happening. Thanx!

Back