Caulk or Grout?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loners4me

Reaction score
20180830_064518.jpg 20180830_064459.jpg Where tile meet ceiling?. Caulk or grout?

Base trim tiles on floor? Caulk or grout?

Corner?

Last edited by a moderator:
nice tile work. Ive always used caulk in those areas especially on ceiling . caulk is paintable and can be removed and recaulked if needed. Im not a tile guy but ive always had good results that way.

Very nice looking bathroom. Did a nice job. I would also go with tub and tile caulk. Not silicone.
That's interesting. Many of the tub and tile chalk are silicone based. So you're saying use the
"acrylic latex" type. I never payed attention to it. I thought silicone was best but only because I don't know any better.:D

The box stores sell the brand Dap tub and tile caulk, I buy Oatey. You can wipe a nice clean bead with a damp cloth. Silicon
makes nothing but a mess as far as I'm concerned. I have used clear silicone on some shower doors but they
said that is what was to be used.

I just read that article I showed a link for earlier. It said, "In tile showers it is best to only use a 100% silcone caulk like latacrete latasil for recaulking a shower. 100% silicone caulking will be more flexible than other caulks and it will not easily grow mold and mildew like other types of caulks.":oops:

But as far as smoothing out silicone, a tile guy once told me to put a little dish detergent in a cup with water and simply dip your finger in it to keep them from sticking to the silicone. I never tried dipping a cloth in it. Could work.??

Many grout companies also have matching caulking. I would check that first. Anywhere there is a difference in materials or "planes" (corners, wall/floor) should be caulked to allow some movement. Grout will crack within the first year.
Installing caulking is an art that is "learned" with practice. If you want to DIY, PRACTICE FIRST on something you can throw out! A pro will charge a lot more if he (or she :) ) has to remove a "bad job".

You use latex caulk because that's the caulk that is color matched and sanded to the grout you use.

For the tile to ceiling joint I would use caulk.

Latest posts

Back