Cast iron vs Steel Tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I'm re-doing a bathroom. I'm inclined to put in a cast iron tube because I like the solid feel of it when you 'clang' on it.

Can anyone give me a good reason to go steel instead of cast iron other than cost?

Acrylic is a non-starter for me. I don't like to hollow thud sound they make.

Suggestions?

Cast iron tubs are effin' heavy. Steel tubs are light. Steel tubs are therefore much easier to install.

I hate an uneven tile job across the back or one of the ends of a tub, so I tend to be a perfectionist when I level a tub. If a cast iron tub is warped(and quite a few of them are), it is hard or impossible to get them perfectly level. If a steel tub is bowed a little (many of them are) it isn't nearly so hard to bend them back straight. Therefore, steel tubs are much easier to install.

The porcelain coating on either of them will chip if something hard and heavy is dropped on the tub. Steel will dent, cast iron obviously won't.

another thing about cast Iron tubs, they do not have that 1/2" or so flange that runs around under the tile. Cast tubs only has a small ridge.

And they are very Heavy.

They make a steel tubs now with sprayed on insulatation that takes that thin metal ping away and keeps the heat in a little longer for those who like to soak

you well not be able to install a cast iron tub unless you decide to knock down a wall, studs and all! unless you have the room for it which most bathrooms dont have. pressed steel looks the same and when installed properly and set in mortar about two 50 pound bags you well get a nice thud sound. nice and solid when stepped on. a lot of cast iron tubs you see probly were installed during framing not after.

Sorry guys I don't agree. In my opinion steel tubs are temporary tubs. Steel tubs will rust out and need replacement. All though cast iron is harder to install it will last four to five times longer then steel. When I was still working we would replace at least 8 -10 steel tubs a year because of rusting out at the overflow and shoe openings. Cant' say I have ever seen that on a cast iron tub. As far a chipping a cast iron will take a lot heaver blow to chip then a steel tub would.

John

by the time a steel tub wears out it well probly be time to update bathroom again. lol. dont get me wrong i do agree cast is better then pressed steel but always more practical to install pressed steel.

It may be practical for the plumber or should I say job security for the plumber. In my first thirty years in the plumbing business I never installed a steel tub. And most were on the 2nd floor. I would also think that as a home owner they would expect more then 10 years out of a bathroom before updating it.

John

... a while back I installed a shower with touchscreens in it, mood lighting an internet connection, phone ( who the hell do you call in the shower??? ) steam, massage jets etc. a Nice shower, but the way some of these people spend money they will want the hologram version when it comes out lol .

having only done 2 cast irons and tons of steels, I can say that The Cast iron was Waaay nicer, and heavy as sin.

Acrylic is easilly repairablle and will hold heat well if you use spray foam to fill the cavity.

Back