Cast Iron Radiators - BSP to NPT

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlelandc

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm new here and a homeowner not a professional so take it easy on me :)

I'm looking to have my old cast iron radiators replaced with new ones from Paladin Radiators in the UK. Price wise even including shipping these come out quite a bit cheaper than anything I could find in the US (not looking for used)

https://paladinradiators.com/
My main question is that these come with 3/4 BSP fittings. Will something like the below work to convert this to NPT to work with my existing system? I'm located in the US and have 1 1/4 iron pipes currently feeding the old radiators.

https://cascadashowers.com/products...-free-adapter-3-4-inch?variant=29273113755682
Thanks in advance!
Jake

Should work, however, brass insert into cast iron will cause corrosion
(galvanic corrosion) the cast iron will be eaten up if I remember right.

GalvanicActionChart.png

See if you can find same the adapter made of plain or galvanized iron pipe. The radiator manufacturer can probably source them for you, and maybe pre-install them, after all, they're doing custom work.
If no joy, wrap the male end of the brass adapter with thicker, mil-grade, teflon tape, to minimize contact with the cast iron.
/
EDIT: WHOOPS... In unlikely case you missed this:

Please note that a unique feature of cast iron radiators is that the top and bottom threads on one side of the radiator are Left Hand threaded. This means that any Left Hand threaded bushes tighten into these threads in a counter-clockwise direction. The top air vent bush and the fitting below are Left Hand threads (the female sub-thread within these bushes is standard Right-Hand thread). Never force a bush into the radiators thread, double check the bush and radiator threads for correct orientation. The bushes on the opposite end of the radiator are Right-Hand threads (so undo/tighten in the usual way).

Last edited:
If they are truly "bespoke" as they say, and are made to order as advertised, surely then, they can supply you with the proper fittings that would match what you need? Worth an inquiry. I bet they are incredibly polite.

Back